Linking two worlds together

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
At0m0 Beerbaum
Has thanked: 0

Linking two worlds together

Post by At0m0 Beerbaum »

Let's say I have a friend with a world of 16 regions. and I also wish to purchase a world and link it to theirs to make two varraregions that are joined together, but separate.

Ie, like how you can join up a second sim in SL to an existing sim, but have two separate owners.

Is this possible under kitely's setup? or does it cause issues with the whole "world not in use, shut down" thing? ie, the second world sits empty for too long and it shuts down, and the only way to boot it up is to explicitly teleport there.

or would both worlds stay online as long as someone was in one of them?

Either way, I would love to buy a second world to add to a friend's world.
These users thanked the author At0m0 Beerbaum for the post:
Selby Evans
Selby Evans

Re: Linking two worlds together

Post by Selby Evans »

There are three ways worlds can be "connected." The strongest way is the SL continent way. This requires technology that "sews" sims together so that you can see and walk to land running on another simulator. That technology is available in OpenSimulator but I don't think it is available in Kitely for the reason you noted: it is not easily compatible with the shutdown strategy that saves on costs and on energy footprint.

A second connection method exists in SL and might be easier to reconcile with the Kitely shutdown strategy: Land on another simulator can appear on the world map as a nearby island. In that case, an island in shutdown mode would appear as offline, but a double-click on it would request TP to it (If that option was set in Preferences). As with other TP requests, a sim offline would have to start up before you could go there. You would be able to see that it was offline and so make a better informed decision as to whether you wanted to go there.

(A check of your friends list would also tell you whether your friend was online, so you might make a still better informed decision by asking in IM.)

A third connection method works in Kitely and elsewhere in OpenSimulator. It is a walkin-TP. If the sim is running, the transport is as fast as any teleport. If the sim has to start you would get the usual Kitely message. This article tells you how to pick up a walkin TP in working condition:
http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/ ... k-for.html

Note: This script will only work if placed by someone who has authority (such as owner) over the land where it is placed.

If you need help with this script, send me an IM.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Alexina Proctor
At0m0 Beerbaum

Post by At0m0 Beerbaum »

so is it possible in Kitely to have two worlds stitched together, side by side?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi At0m0,

Our system doesn't allow placing worlds adjacent to one another, regardless of who owns those worlds. That's one of the reason why we call worlds "worlds" instead of calling them islands on the Kitely grid. Changing this would require us to keep a lot more worlds active, which would significantly increase our expenses and therefore force us to change our pricing accordingly.

Both the second and third options Selby mentioned work in Kitely. You can click on a location on the world map to teleport into that world and you can teleport to another world via a landmark or an IM invite. You can also be teleported to a world via a script. Regardless of which method you use if you try to teleport to a world that is currently offline you get notified that the world is now starting up and that you will be automatically teleported to it once it is ready (which can take between a few seconds and a few minutes depending on the world's complexity and how well it has been optimized by its owner).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Barnard SmithAlexina Proctor
bitcoin London

Post by bitcoin London »

I supposeI could have a HUGE prim that when you walk into it transports you to the other sim?!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Yes, that's a possibility. You can use this function to do so: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsTeleportAgent
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Alexina Proctor
Moonrise Azalee

Post by Moonrise Azalee »

@bitcoin London : I have done this via a 'tunnel' that on the lands edge had hills etc, landscaping, and a tunnel to go to the 'next town' the tunnel having a TP script in it as Shelby mentions. It might not be as simultaneous, especially if the land next door has a lot of scripts etc to start up but it definitely works and can help with the feeling of immersion. (I was doing it as part of a RP town thing)
These users thanked the author Moonrise Azalee for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerAlexina Proctor
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson »

I love to sail so have to ask: If I am sitting in my sailboat and therefore attached to it and went through a tp large enough for us both it would go with me?
If so that is way cool and imho just as good as "the take your chances you crash and deal with your world jerking around" option of connected sims. If I understood the teleport code correctly you can set it to leave you in your sim until the world comes online instead of the transfer station... If it was set far enough from the border of your land you wouldn't even have to stop once you got the timing right :).
I wonder though what would happen if you had a passenger... :lol:
These users thanked the author Hypatia Emerson for the post:
Michael Timeless
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Hypatia,

That all depends on how well the script was written. It could work if it teleports everyone sitting on the boat to the new world and then sits them down when they both arrive to the world they teleported to. The worlds would need to belong to the person owning the script so that the script will have permission to teleport the avatars. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... functions/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Michael TimelessSelby EvansHypatia EmersonAlexina Proctor
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson »

Sadly that is beyond my ability to code but I'm sure someone (Michael?) will do it eventually - at least the part without passengers. I would happily buy it off Kitely Market :D
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!