How to correctly upload mesh

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Ilan Tochner

Re: How to correctly upload mesh

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Mike,

I believe you need to forward that question to the developers of the viewer you used to upload the mesh. AFAIK the mesh doesn't get processed by the server before it has been uploaded into it.

You may also try using a different viewer and seeing if it gives you the same error.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

It doesn't seem to be an error per se, when it is uploaded it is showing the same insanely high vertex counts of the uploaded object as the meshermizer claimed, the problem is that this count is several times the vertex count of the same object in Blender.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Is it possible you have multiple copies of the mesh in Blender overlapping each other?
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson »

Mike Lorrey wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 am
I have run into an issue where the meshermizer seems to grossly overcount the number of vertexes. I have a mesh that in blender counts at 22k verts, but the upload process rejects it claiming it is over 65k. I had to remove two parts of the mesh to make them separate pieces, so the main part is 11k verts to get it to upload. I would like to know why the upload process grossly overcounts vertexes.
This issue occurs when you don't use smooth shading on your mesh. I have no clue why but going back and adding the smooth shading fixes it every time. I was told that not using that will result in the uploader seeing it as sharp and multiplying the verts to make it look that way in world but that response was not from an official source.

Some other common errors and their solutions:

Error: material of model is not a subset of reference model.

This occurs when one of your levels of detail doesn't have the same materials associated with it as the High level (reference model is always High). This can happen because you have not provided files for all levels of detail and in the process of crunching your mesh down it erased all the faces of a material OR because when making the levels of detail you deleted all the faces of one of the materials OR you used a material only in that level of detail but not the High.

Solution:

If you did not make the other levels of detail:
You can try again several times but with mixed results of whether it will work or just create LOD models for each level.

If you have made the levels of detail:
Go back to the one that is marked and provide at least one face for the materials that are missing then reexport and upload or remove the extra material and reassign the faces.

Missing required Level of Detail

This is caused by an empty DAE.

Solution:

Go back and reexport the item. You will usually find you are either in a mode other than Object or you don't have the mesh selected. Blender is very obedient but not smart - it will create an empty file if you tell it to.

Mesh objects in the upload viewer aren't aligned right

This is caused by moving or resizing things in object mode.

Solution:

In object mode with all mesh selected hit Ctrl A and select rotation and scale in the menu. If you have previously unwrapped you will need to do so again. Alternate solution: go into edit mode and select everything. open the image editor and select everything. Have the sync on for UV and mesh (you will have the same vert/edge/face symbols in both windows. It is to the left of where you select vertices in the image editor). Hit Ctrl A.

Mesh is missing on the in world object

It actually isn't but the faces are facing inside so it might as well be missing. Blender shows the back side of mesh as a darker color unless you have back face culling turned on. Kitely shows back faces as invisible. Other VR worlds do as well. The most common cause of faces getting flipped is extruding.

Solution:

Go into edit mode in blender and choose the faces then select T to get the tool panel. On the Shading/UV tab under Shading at the bottom is flip direction. If there are many you may want to select the whole mesh and try recalculate or set by faces first though it may have unexpected results in which case Ctrl Z is your friend.
These users thanked the author Hypatia Emerson for the post (total 6):
Ilan TochnerRobert StanleyMichael TimelessShandon LoringMike LorreyTonia Kara
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Hypatia Emerson wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:19 pm
Mike Lorrey wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:49 am
I have run into an issue where the meshermizer seems to grossly overcount the number of vertexes. I have a mesh that in blender counts at 22k verts, but the upload process rejects it claiming it is over 65k. I had to remove two parts of the mesh to make them separate pieces, so the main part is 11k verts to get it to upload. I would like to know why the upload process grossly overcounts vertexes.
This issue occurs when you don't use smooth shading on your mesh. I have no clue why but going back and adding the smooth shading fixes it every time. I was told that not using that will result in the uploader seeing it as sharp and multiplying the verts to make it look that way in world but that response was not from an official source.
Ok this makes sense. There are obviously a number of sharp/flat faces on this model, and need to be. I could potentially use the model to generate a normal on ezbump but I am not sure of the mesh complexity tolerance of that site, and how many materials it can generate for. I wasn't aware that it split vertexes at sharp edges, that sounds sort of silly.
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson »

I won't disagree Mike it has caused me extra work more than once. Usually if I treat the smooth like a subsurface mod and put just a little extra where needed I get sharpish looking edges and it works for most things. The sword I'm making is thankfully low enough poly I can let it add the extra and just go with it because lets face it a sword edge that is rounded off doesn't inspire much fear...
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I took a brief interest in hard surface modeling so I could get things like buttons and belt buckles looking better. There's a lot on the subject, most of it for Max or Maya but the concepts are the same as Blender. Short version:
set everything to smooth in Object mode; you can try flat shading on selected faces in Edit mode (ctl f).
separate faces that need to look sharp - Edge Split modifier or Rip
No tris until just before export - you can let the game engine split the quads to tris if your loop and quad structure is good
Even quads except proximity loops or bevels at edges
Good UV map makes a difference, and you can bake normal and AO maps to it to emphasize edges, and/or hand paint the normal map (texture paint) in Blender.
Try using Make Sharp (ctl e in edit mode) - it may or may not show up inworld depnding on lighting.

Some of this increases vertex count in Blender, and will better predict what your count will be inworld.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerMichael Timeless
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ok once I got the outrigger flight decks separated from the midsection of the ship, I uploaded the midsection, and it first showed up as 49k verts, but as soon as I hit "generate normals", it dropped down to 22k, which is still twice the 11k verts of the model in Blender, but I am curious as to why it doesn't let me select "generate normals" FIRST....
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ada Radius wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:38 pm
I took a brief interest in hard surface modeling so I could get things like buttons and belt buckles looking better. There's a lot on the subject, most of it for Max or Maya but the concepts are the same as Blender. Short version:
set everything to smooth in Object mode; you can try flat shading on selected faces in Edit mode (ctl f).
separate faces that need to look sharp - Edge Split modifier or Rip
No tris until just before export - you can let the game engine split the quads to tris if your loop and quad structure is good
Even quads except proximity loops or bevels at edges
Good UV map makes a difference, and you can bake normal and AO maps to it to emphasize edges, and/or hand paint the normal map (texture paint) in Blender.
Try using Make Sharp (ctl e in edit mode) - it may or may not show up inworld depnding on lighting.

Some of this increases vertex count in Blender, and will better predict what your count will be inworld.
Ok I still haven't figured out baking, I just map things and use diffuse textures applied inworld. If I need bump maps i use ezbump.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

ya and baking is buggy and painting takes time. I haven't tried ezbump - is there a link? I tried a couple of online normal map makers which no longer seem to exist and the Nvidia plugin for PS. I ended up paying for CrazyBump, which is somewhat crashy but saves a lot of time if the normal map should be the same shapes as the diffuse and specular maps.
Mike Lorrey wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 am

Ok I still haven't figured out baking, I just map things and use diffuse textures applied inworld. If I need bump maps i use ezbump.