Photoshop CC 2018 and .RAW files

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Michael Timeless

Photoshop CC 2018 and .RAW files

Post by Michael Timeless »

So, a funny thing happened tonight - 6 hours ago tonight.
I decided that I would do a little terrain editing in photoshop. Some of the hills on the sim were ragged and I thought, I would simply spend a few minutes and clean them up.
I downloaded the .RAW file and it gave me an error. Ok, no big deal right. I went to a backup copy and tried to open it and Photoshop told me that the image was bigger than the file and the file came up as 4096x3328 with 1 channel at 8bits.
Now, I am the first to admit that my PS skills are not the best in the world but even I know that's not right. So, I went and got another file from a different source, then another, then as the ADHD, OCD and more coffee kicked in I tried loading a .R32 raw. Then I stopped, got another cup of coffee and called Adobe technical support because 10 files from 5 different sources can't all be wrong (since they work).
Has anyone else tried recently to use Photoshop to edit or do I have to go dig out my decade old copy of Paintshop Pro or, gimp?

So, now Adobe thinks that PS is not loading .RAW files completely and their patch doesn't work so I can get a call back in a few hours I guess I should sleep and not ramble. Night.

Update: I've found at least one grid that is experiencing problems loading terrain onto larger variregions. I'm not sure, yet, if this is a true issue or something just with that grid. The author does state it is in "other grids." FWIW I have never experienced this in Kitely, although photoshop will not currently edit our .RAW files.

https://discoverygridservices.com/whmcs ... egion.html
These users thanked the author Michael Timeless for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Krull Kitty

Re: Photoshop CC 2018 and .RAW files

Post by Krull Kitty »

I don't think it's you or your PS installation.

I may have run across this in another industry using medical DICOM files.

What I suspect is happening is the image may have been dumped as a fully scalable vector or raster
and given a ".RAW" extension.

Try changing the ext to ".AI" and opening it in Illustrator.

If that does not work, I'm not sure what it is. And thus, I have not been of much help.

After all, I am just a cat. ;)
These users thanked the author Krull Kitty for the post:
Tonia Kara