How to Transfer a full Sim/OAR with full Permissions

Ask questions about your Kitely account or payment options
Annie Teach

How to Transfer a full Sim/OAR with full Permissions

Post by Annie Teach »

Greetings. I have a few questions.

Background: I have created a 16xsim with a range of learning areas for my students, initially funded by me and built with my own avatar. I want to transfer the sim to another avatar I have created for the faculty; as I am leaving that organisation and they are keen for the sim to continue for the students. I do not want to give them my initial avatar. I want the newly created avatar to have rights to build and adjust anything my original avatar has created (excluding anything created by another builder - free or purchased). Both avatars are part of the sim's key group, but not all rights appear to be active for the second avatar regarding building and modifying items.

Questions: I have two strategies to explore: transfer of the existing sim or an OAR transfer of the sim to a new sim setup.

1. If I keep the sim active as is, Is there a fast way of doing this transfer so both avatars have the same rights to build and modify (I want to do final tweaks) or do I need to deed things individually?

2. Or if I save the sim as an OAR file, is there a way when re-activated, that the rights of the sim are given to the activating sim owner/avatar. I have tested this, but it appears my first avatar still retained the rights to most the buildings without the second avatar being able to modify, even though it was the second avatar's sim.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.
These users thanked the author Annie Teach for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerHypatia EmersonSelby Evans
Ilan Tochner

Re: How to Transfer a full Sim/OAR with full Permissions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Annie,

Our systems respects objects ownership permissions, which means that if you want to transfer an object to someone then you need to set that object's Next Owner permissions to the permissions that you want that person to get. It also means that if you upload an OAR file that indicates an object is owned by a certain Kitely avatar or group then that avatar/group will retain ownership of the object after it has been reuploaded into Kitely.

As you are unable to change Next Owner permissions for various objects you didn't create, this means that your ability to transfer an entire world to the control of an organization you don't wish to give your account to is currently limited. However, there is a way for you to transfer most of the world to the organization without giving up control of your avatar. To do so, you'll need to change ownership of the objects from you to a group, export the world to an OAR file, and then reupload it into Kitely using the desired Kitely account.

Please note that object exportability rules will apply so make sure you read these two blog posts before you Export World: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/ and https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... rmissions/
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Michael TimelessHypatia EmersonChris NamasteSelby Evans
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson »

Ok I am going to be in a similar position so I need to get a grasp on this as well. My family are all creators of one type or another so there will be stores and such on the world. I am (currently) the world owner and the one that will be backing it up.
Please let me know If any of this is incorrect because I will be using this as my guide from here on out. I will edit this post and correct it if I get something wrong and you point it out below. From the people I have talked to both in and out of Kitely I'm not alone in my confusion :|

For things to go in a WORLD COPY that can't be downloaded or transferred it must be:

For things I own:
Copyable

For things others own:
Everyone Copy (what I call Take Copy)
OR
Deeded to the group that owns the world and copyable
OR
Transferred to me as copyable before I run the copy

For things to go in a OAR that is transferable to other avatar both on this grid and others it must be:

For things I own:
1. Exportable if bought from Kitely Market.
OR
2. Copy and Transfer next owner permissions if not from Kitely Market.

For things others own:

1. Exportable if bought from Kitely Market.
OR
2. Copy and Transfer next owner permissions if not from Kitely Market
AND
Must have everyone copy.
OR
Be transferred to me before the OAR with both copy and transfer permissions for me.

For things to go in a OAR that a land group can use on Kitely Worlds

1. Exportable if bought from Kitely Market
OR
2. They must be deeded to the land group with copy and transfer permissions

I think I got it now. Let me know if anything is still incorrect. :D
Last edited by Hypatia Emerson on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
These users thanked the author Hypatia Emerson for the post:
Selby Evans
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Hypatia,

These are the object permissions we check for when you attempt to Copy World:

If you own the object then it must have the "Owner Copy" permission in order for it to be copied into the new world.

If your don’t own the object then the object must have the "Everyone Copy" permission in order for it to be copied into the new world.

If it belongs to a group you are part of then the group must have Copy permission for that object in order for it to be copied into the new world.

Please note that this creates a new Kitely world with everything that wasn't filtered out due to the aforementioned rules. That new world can be copied again and exported based on the same rules as the original world it was copied from.

These are the object permissions we check for when you attempt to Export World:

If the object was acquired from Kitely Market then we just check the Export permission that the object was bought with in order to determine whether to include it in the OAR file. It doesn't matter whether the object was rezzed by the person who bought it in Kitely Market or by someone who got it from a person who bought it from Kitely Market (no matter how many times it was transferred between other people until it reached the current owner).

If the object was not acquired from Kitely Market then we check:

If you own the object then it must have both the "Owner Copy" and the "Owner Transfer" permissions in order for it to be included in the OAR file.

If your don’t own the object then the object must have the "Everyone Copy" permission in order for it to be included in the OAR file.

If the object belongs to a group you are part of then the group must have both the Copy and Transfer permissions for that object in order for it to be included in the OAR file.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Hypatia EmersonSelby Evans
Hypatia Emerson

:? Ok I may be even more confused than I started.
I have been up all night though so that is part of it i'm sure.
There are terms being used I'm not sure I understand correctly. So lets start there :)
When you say everyone copy I'm thinking it means that anyone copy box on the bottom of my edit window that allows others to right click and take copy. When you say a group owns it the only way I know of for an item to be owned by a group is to deed it.

The part about the export option on Kitely Market - If someone rezzes an item bought from the there on my land that was marked export when purchased - an item that when I look at it is for me no copy no mod no trans and I can't move or take it in any way - it will still go into the OAR but will come out the way it went in with no rights for me but they can still use/pick it up? That would actually make sense in a way because I would have the same use of it I would if it wasn't from an OAR. In the case of a chair I could sit in it but if I wanted to rearrange things I would need the owner or would have to just return/delete it to get it out of the way. :lol: It would also make me much more likely to encourage my family to buy exportable items from Kitely to make life easy on us all!
Last edited by Hypatia Emerson on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Hypatia Emerson for the post:
Michael Timeless
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I copy pasted the second part of my reply from the first and edited it in a way that left "Everyone Transfer" (which is not a thing). I've corrected my reply to remove it.

You're correct about what group owned, Everyone Copy, and Kitely Market Export to OAR file mean.
Hypatia EmersonMichael Timeless
Hypatia Emerson

Ok I think I have it down now. Could you let me know if any of that is wrong? If I permanently *poof* someones favorite piece of furniture I will never hear the end of it. :lol:
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Your last comment seems right.

In any case, when you export a world make sure to read the Export World Report to check if anything was filtered out of the OAR file. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... plemented/
Hypatia EmersonMichael Timeless
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Whenever I save an OAR, I always save the "Export World" report, usually including the date of the save in both filenames to keep them linked.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerHypatia EmersonMichael Timeless
Annie Teach

Post by Annie Teach »

Thanks Ilan,

Yes, I certainly want to respect objects created by others. I wasn't intending for these to be passed on. I was just hoping there was a fast global way of changing permissions on the objects I have created. I have created a campus involving over 40,000 prims. So I was trying to avoid invididual resetting. I will have a careful read of the links you sent me to explore. Thanks.