It happened again, stuff missing from sim

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Gaudin Himmel
Has thanked: 0

It happened again, stuff missing from sim

Post by Gaudin Himmel »

Again a different friends stuff went missing, this time while I was on the sim. I was not in the area it was when it happened, but I was there less than half an hour before it happened and noticed it about half an hour later. All but 5 of her prims just vanished!

During the time I was away, I added her to region Manager and Always allowed but did nothing else.

I'm going to lose a lot of work but I would appreciate a roll back on Gaudin's Heaven, please.

My region has been acting a little funny lately, prims that I have made hollow or sliced continue to act like they are whole. I had the same problem with an imported build. I had to turn parts phantom to fix the problem. It seems to have rectified itself for now though.
Ilan Tochner

Re: It happened again, stuff missing from sim

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gaudin,

First, regarding the collision mesh problem, what physics engine did you set your world to use in the Advanced tab of that world's Manage World dialog (which you open by clicking the Manage link in your My Worlds page)?

Have you set autoreturn in your land?

Have the missing objects appeared in your friend's Objects or Lost and Found inventory folders? People often select multiple objects when they intend to select others and then either have them retaken into their inventories or deleted when they try to take or delete the objects they intended to select.

Have you used the Area Search viewer feature to check if the objects may still exist in the world but in a different location from where they were last intentionally positioned? People often unintentionally move objects they didn't know they selected.

If you were inside the world when any of this happened then it couldn't have been due to a sim crash problem so human error is the most likely explenation. I suggest you check with your friend before we restore your world to a previously stored state and then let us know once you wish us to go ahead.
Gaudin Himmel

Post by Gaudin Himmel »

First off the sim is set for Bullet physics.

I checked and there was 5 prims left of several hundred on the sim!
This happened when I was on and another person, not the person owning the objects. The person owning the objects left about an hour before the objects vanished. I used the objects after the person owning them left. I can guarantee that those object were not picked up by her or anyone else. Nor did I return them. I have been a region owner in various grids for over 10 years and I know what I'm doing and what is happening around me.

I have not seen my friend, Ally, since the objects vanished so I don't know if the objects ended up in her Lost and Found. I had hoped to get this solved before she logged on on Wednesday.

Auto return isn't on plus most of the objects have been there for a month.

This is the second time this has happened withing the last 2 weeks. The last time it was to a different person!

Like I said, the only difference was just before the stuff vanished I added her to the Region Manager list!

This is becoming very frustrating
Gaudin Himmel

Post by Gaudin Himmel »

The Last time this happened viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4649
These users thanked the author Gaudin Himmel for the post:
Moontan Valeeva 2
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

First, BulletSim is a problematic physics engine and you should be able to resolve your collision mesh problems by switching your world to use ODE.

The first time this problem happened was due to a sim crash before OpenSim persisted the changes. The second time nothing happened to your sim and you were inside it when things disappeared. Those are very different scenarios.

Things don't change unless something or someone changes them. It could be a script like what is used for autorezz boxes, it could be accidental select actions by people who have building permissions in the land, it could be griffers if you didn't restrict building permissions in your land, etc.

We can restore the world to a previously saved world state if you wish, but as you don't know what everyone who was in your world was doing when the objects vanished it is premature to blame our system for it. If things were as unstable as you're insinuating they are then we wouldn't have remained in business since 2011 and we wouldn't have constantly ranked as one of the most stable OpenSim grids in the annual Hypergrid Business grid surveys.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Michael Timeless
Gaudin Himmel

Post by Gaudin Himmel »

I'm not saying Kitely is unstable, I'm saying I had a problem on my sim that seems awfully similar to the previous one.

Please restore the sim.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

As per your request, your world has now been restored to yesterday's world state.
Gaudin Himmel

Post by Gaudin Himmel »

Thank you