Space Navigator not working with High Sierra

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Lawrence Pierce
Has thanked: 0

Space Navigator not working with High Sierra

Post by Lawrence Pierce »

Recently I upgraded to High Sierra from El Capitan. Had been using a SpaceNavigator without issues (and on previous Mac OS versions as well). However, the SpaceNavigator no longer works in Firestorm (neither does it work in the official Second Life viewer). I did a very thorough removal of the old driver and installed the latest driver. Am also using the latest versions of the Firestorm and Second Life viewers. I have two SpaceNavigators and neither works as expected. 3DConnexion provides a test utility and the SpaceNavigator(s) still work fine with that, so it is only with Second Life viewers (and their derivatives) that it no longer works. I went back and forth with 3DConnexion tech support many times until they finally emphasized that they do not officially support the Second Life viewer (or derivations) and that they have no solutions. I've been wondering if anyone else has had this issue since Google searches have not produced any relevant results.
These users thanked the author Lawrence Pierce for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerMichael Timeless
Michael Timeless

Re: Space Navigator not working with High Sierra

Post by Michael Timeless »

Not sure about the MacOs, but my Space Navigator has not worked with any viewer since I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10.
Lawrence Pierce
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lawrence Pierce »

Thanks for adding your comment.

I have access to Windows 10 another computer, so at some point in the next few days I'll check and see if I also have the same lack of interaction.
These users thanked the author Lawrence Pierce for the post:
Michael Timeless
Mally McGinnis

Post by Mally McGinnis »

I don't remember much about the history or who's software stopped supporting who's, but the most recent version of 3DConnexion's drivers I've found that do work in Firestorm is 3DxWare64 v10.1.2 which is available in their archives. This has been the case at least since the WinXP era. Just Google for "3dconnexion archives" and find the one for your particular 3D navigator and operating system.

I might mention that those old drivers predate and don't support their wireless space navigator. They do work in the newest version of Blender, but not in SketchUp. I don't ever want to go back to building or navigating on a grid without it, so for this reason, I use a notebook PC for SL, OS and Blender with that driver, and my primary PC for the newest version of the drivers to use in SketchUp, Blender and anything else.

ETA: I'm running Windows 10 on the machine I use for SL related stuff.
These users thanked the author Mally McGinnis for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerJohn Mela
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Thanks Mally. But the only version 10.1.2 I can find in their archives is for OS X. How frustrating.

The oldest version they have for Windows 10 x64 (which I have) is 10.3.0.
Mally McGinnis

Post by Mally McGinnis »

Not sure I've got the process down, never shared a link to a file in dropbox before, but let's see if this gets it to you. If it doesn't, send an IM with an email address to which I can send it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3h82vohn7c01 ... 8.exe?dl=0
These users thanked the author Mally McGinnis for the post:
Michael Timeless
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Thanks, Mally, I could download and install that fine.

Unfortunately, the device seems to be dead, and not even the tutorial app works.

I suspect it's physically damaged - there was a water spill around the time it last worked, and I'd been hoping that wasn't the cause. It seems maybe it was.