Corrupted Object

Ask technical support questions about other topics
Kayaker Magic

Corrupted Object

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have an object in inventory that behaves very strangely.
It is "M1 Garand 1.20 (wear me)" (a rifle).
When I wear this item, edit it, and click the "Reset Scripts" button in the dialog box, it says "Starting reset of 24 items", then says "Loading inventory for ID5" 23 times before finally loading the inventory for M1 Garand and resetting the single script. This M1 garand is a mesh object that has only one prim, and has no parts named ID5. What the heck is going on?

If I wear a similar item, like a "Glock 14", and hit the reset button, it gets the prim count right and only loads inventory for one item.

I've also had an intermittent problem with the M1: when I wear it, the script is often not running and I have to check the checkbox on the script editing dialog to get it working again. I did not uncheck this!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Corrupted Object

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

I suggest you clear both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache then upload that asset into inventory again and check if that new copy also behaves strangely.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

What do you mean "upload that asset" again? This is a product I have sold dozens of copies of, you want me to re-upload the mesh, make a new version and send those out to everyone? I don't know if their copies are corrupted....
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

No, I want you to test if the problem is with your own copy or with the object. If the product is already listed in our marketplace and has worked from there then please clear both your viewer cache and viewer inventory cache then to a test delivery from your listing to your own avatar and check that newly delivered copy.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Well, I tried clearing all my caches, and delivered a copy of the M1 Garand to myself. It worked a few times then started acting strangely. Of course, I sell this item NOMOD and NOTRANS, so I am lot allowed to reset it and see if it gives me that "Loading inventory for ID5" message.
By acting strangely, I mean it seems to stop being able to send or listen to llSay type messages. Then the Merchant Sandbox starts acting strange, I cannot move. So I re-log and when I come back the terrain never appears. I'm hanging out in the Welcome area waiting for the sandbox to restart.
The unable to listen to llSay type messages looks a lot like a Mantis #8135 I reported some time ago where some system resource ran out after opening AND CLOSING llListen channels a certain number of times. When this happens, unrelated scripts all over the same region cannot successfully llListen for messages any more. This was fixed in OpenSim version 0.9.something, I assume that bug is still in your 0.8 version.

I just went back to the sandbox, it is still messed up. I'm going to go try to crash a different region.
I went to my Panthalassa region. None of my attachments came with me so I had to relog. Then the delivered copy of the M1 worked fine. By which I mean it worked as well as can be expected with the 0.8 version of llCastRay and BulletSim.
I tried the corrupted copy out of inventory, and it worked fine on Panthalassa, where I run BulletSim. Perhaps ODE is the problem?
After dinner I will try the sandbox and my world Gondwana where I have ODE running.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I logged into the reset Kitely Merchant's Sandbox and the M1 Garand worked fine until I used it to fire a few physical bullets, then the region locked up. I now seem to be reliably able to crash the sandbox by just firing a few bullets, perhaps by having one go off-sim.
So I went to Gonwana 2 and fired a few rounds off the edge of the sim and crashed that region in the same way. Avatar cannot move, on a re-log
you find that the terrain never loads.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with my corrupted copy of the rifle, but I can reliably crash regions now by doing something that should be OK.

I did go back and re-load the mesh from the DAE file and there are a bunch of separate child prims. So the "loading inventory for" messages are correct. I got this mesh for free and didn't realize it was not optimized. So those messages were a red herring, they have nothing to do with the strange region behavior.

So I did another test: I wore a copy of a different gun, the Glock 17, and fired it a bunch of times and off the edge of region Gondwana (still running ODE). The region locked up, (avatar unable to move) just like with the M1 Garand. Left and came back to the region, the terrain fails to load. I conclude that there is a problem with ODE that can freeze a region. I can provide you with a script to force this to happen.

One last test: I took the Glock to Panthalassa (a BulletSim region) and fired dozens of rounds off the edge of the region and everywhere else. The region never locked up.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Do the bullets this rifle is firing have the Physical attribute turned on?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Coincidentally, I purchased a raygun on the off-chance it could be used as a laser pointer. Worked OK in llCastRay mode on Gowana (no demo version there I could find) but not on my region running ODE. Slightly off-topic but it would be interesting to be able to find out what physics engine is being used from a world's web page.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

My bad. Tried the raygun again on my world and it's fine under ODE. Apologies.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

Ilan: To try and make a product that works anywhere, my weapons have a dialog to work by throwing physical bullets, with llCastRay, or switching between them based on the land permissions. So sometimes I throw rocks and that was crashing ODE. Sometimes I use llCastRay and it can be INCREDIBLY SLOW or detect things it should not.

Graham: Using a zap ray gun as a laser pointer seems like a bit of overkill! LOL!