Kitely Opensimulator Features

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Gusher Castaignede

Kitely Opensimulator Features

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Hello, wanted to ask whether Kitely is running latest opensimulator release 0.9.0.1 ? Whats new in this latest release? Is there any differences in Kitely's version versus the standard distributions?
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ilan Tochner
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely Opensimulator Features

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

Kitely is using OpenSim 0.8.2.1 with more than 400 proprietary patches we've developed. Some of these Kitely-specific improvements provide better performance and stability than what OpenSim 0.9.0.1 provides so it isn't clear that switching to the newer OpenSim version will have a net positive effect.

In addition, Kitely uses it's own proprietary Inventory and Assets systems that also contribute to our offering's improved performance and stability compared to what you get from running the regular OpenSim distribution.
Gusher Castaignede

Ah I see now, so its a customized version specic. Has there been any additions recently or what are future feature additions Kitely wishes to add? Thanks Ilan..
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Kitely works well and there are currently very few things to be gained from upgrading the OpenSim version our system is based on. Meanwhile, our resources can be much better invested in developing solutions that will greatly improve the value of what we offer. We are therefore mostly focused on developing Kitely-specific functionality (such as the Virtual Grids offering we'll be launching next month) and aren't planning any changes to the OpenSim platform at this time. That said, while we don't have a list of changes we wish to make to OpenSim, we do address reported OpenSim-related issues from time to time.

We'll only update to OpenSim 0.9.x when it becomes clear that spending the time and resources to do so will benefit our customers more than developing the other features we have planned.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansGusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

Thank you very much Ilan!