These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerGraham Mills
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ilan Tochner

Re: VR Support

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gusher,

We'll evaluate this viewer once it comes out and see what's required to add support for it. Unreal Engine's revenue share requirements make it less than ideal for our use.

Regarding VR support, we already have paying customers using a private alpha version of an upcoming service we plan to launch later this year.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Agreed that this looks v interesting, not least as it supports server-side features such as scripting. Didn't catch all of the talk yet but, as I recall, the viewer currently lacks support for avatars. I hope Diva and others can find some time to develop it further.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Some kind of Firestorm/Steam VR integration for the "other grid" as well. No word on a port to OpenSim. https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2019/01/windo ... ource.html
Soo Novi

Post by Soo Novi »

Alright, let me preface any statement I make in this thread with "I'm out of my depth." I know nearly nothing about VR and haven't tried it yet.

That said, I recently discovered a telephone app, for me it is an android app but I know someone who uses it on iOS too, that is a paired down version of a viewer and it's got VR functionality that is supposed to be ready for Cardboard. Since I have no headset I haven't tried that bit yet, but I have found that the viewer works fairly well in SL. When I use it to log into Kitely, though, it'll log in but you can't see much once you're there. It also might require a double log in attempt if the sim is not running when you first try.

The app is called Lumiya. I am guessing it works better in SL because of some server side compatibility or some such. I've been wanting to tell people "hey, look what I found" but haven't really had anyone to tell it to. So, now I have.

Lumiya. Allegedly VR ready, at least read for "over there." There is also a cloud plugin and a voice plugin for it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wer.lumiya
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I use Lumiya very occasionally. My experience with Kitely is that it works with single but not multi-region worlds. I also have an inexpensive Cardboard-compatible headset though, again, use it rarely. Within the limitations of the headset, my low-end phone and Lumiya itself, you can get worlds to render in 3D, albeit sometimes with a degree of "drift".

Issues beyond the intrinsic limitations of Lumiya (which doesn't support particles, for example) include:
  • protracted login (as you say, starting the world from the web page is required followed by some patience with large worlds)
  • failure to render the avatar apart from attachments (removing/replacing an item of clothing triggers a rebake and the avatar appears).
Issues with my headset mean I have to use a Bluetooth keyboard to navigate which is not ideal. It also renders objects with a blank texture (added via the build menu, not from inventory) as black.

This is very much a budget approach to VR and I'd hoped that solutions that were both affordable and performant might have emerged by this stage. While I am hopeful that the new viewer might offer a way forward, as a builder I find plenty to do in OpenSim without feeling the absence of a fully immersive experience too acutely.
Soo Novi wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am
Alright, let me preface any statement I make in this thread with "I'm out of my depth." I know nearly nothing about VR and haven't tried it yet.

That said, I recently discovered a telephone app, for me it is an android app but I know someone who uses it on iOS too, that is a paired down version of a viewer and it's got VR functionality that is supposed to be ready for Cardboard. Since I have no headset I haven't tried that bit yet, but I have found that the viewer works fairly well in SL. When I use it to log into Kitely, though, it'll log in but you can't see much once you're there. It also might require a double log in attempt if the sim is not running when you first try.

The app is called Lumiya. I am guessing it works better in SL because of some server side compatibility or some such. I've been wanting to tell people "hey, look what I found" but haven't really had anyone to tell it to. So, now I have.

Lumiya. Allegedly VR ready, at least read for "over there." There is also a cloud plugin and a voice plugin for it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... wer.lumiya
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Soo Novi

Post by Soo Novi »

Perhaps at some point I will get the opportunity to check it all out. Right now I'm just up to my eyeballs with a new region and trying to figure out how much inventory I can migrate, or WANT to migrate, and how much I want to buy other people's stuff to make my region looking more "finished" or do what I really want to do and make it all wait until I figure out how to do it myself. I'm leaning to the latter.

So, there are a lot of learning curves in my near future. I'm sure VR will manage to make it's way in there, but what you describe seems to be comparable to a lot of what I've read. I'm reserving judgment for personal experience, of which I currently have none.