Voice Troubleshooting Assistance

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Annie Teach

Voice Troubleshooting Assistance

Post by Annie Teach »

Hi Everyone, I am hoping you could assist me in troubleshooting Voice via the Firestorm viewer as it ceased working over 4 days ago. So far I have:

1. Checked my computer media settings, headset settings, and viewer screen voice settings.
2. Tried to update the Firestorm viewer Media/Sound Voice settings for the device input/output. It won't allow me to enter the choice with a "please wait message"
3. I have tried 3 different versions of Firestorm. Each give the message that voice is unavailable, lists several UDP numbers and to check network and Firesettings (no changes had been made prior to these), so....
4. I have tried different headsets (and adjusted computer settings) although Firestorm would not allow input/output as above.
5. I have tried two different laptops using two different firewalls/security settings.
5. I have tried two different networks...... but still no voice.

Actually there is one other observation. On the first day I had accessed Second Life using the SL viewer. Voice was fine. When I relogged 2 hours later, voice wouldn't work. So I tried to use Firestorm. Same problem. There were a few moments when the white dot appeared and the green waves allowed a split second of audio which others heard. Then nothing. Since then, this has been a problem in both SL and Kitely.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
These users thanked the author Annie Teach for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Voice Troubleshooting Assistance

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Annie,

Vivox is currently in the process of moving data centers so intermittent voice downtime is to be expected in any service that uses them (including both Second Life and OpenSim).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Annie Teach
Annie Teach

Post by Annie Teach »

Thanks Ilan. Phew! I had run out of ideas! Hopefully all will return to normal soon. :D
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Ouch, that was awful.
I should have checked the Forum sooner, in 5 years have never had a Voice problem in Kitely, in fact I often mock folks in SL that seems plagued with voice issues.. lol.

10 minutes to show time, and the kick off of a month long series, i figure out we have no voice on the sim,, eeek!!!

We have stream for fall back, but that gets tricky with multiple presenters, but we managed to finagle a third computer and stream from Voice in SL to Stream in Kitely.

My point? None really, just whining.. anxious to have Voice back.. it really helps for Live Voice Storytelling.. LoL

Oh actually maybe there is a point.. thank you Ilan for keeping in touch with us and letting us know what's going on. As I've said before, Kitely support rocks! Is there any ETA for voice being back to normal? I'm hoping by next week??
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

They sent out an email a couple of days ago stating that they're moving data centers. We contacted them via email to ensure that voice service will return after they're done with their migration but, after replying to our first email, they've yet to answer our followup queries about this interruption of service.

We're trying to find alternative ways to get this matter resolved quickly. Maybe if a sufficient number of our users contacted them and requested that they help us resume using their service then they'll be more inclined to help.
Annie Teach

Post by Annie Teach »

Thanks Ilan. I very much appreciate your vigilance in this forum and for the input from the Kitely community.

Is this link the best one to use to seek direct input with Vivox https://www.vivox.com/gamers then under Contact?

Kind Regards,
Annie
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

A Vivox representative just emailed us this reply:

"We are currently in the process of migrating the servers handling our OpenSim service to a new data center. We are hoping they will be live again by the end of today. We're sorry for the interruption of service."

Let's hope that they complete this process sooner rather than later.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Soo NoviEileen O'ConnorSelby Evans
Eileen O'Connor

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

A hopeful YAY from all of us
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

..and a thank you to all our patient audience members last night who endured through all the fumbling to get stream going, and tolerated being out of sync with our other audience in Second Life. Thanks Everyone!
Eileen O'Connor

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

Glad you got a "fix" Shandon. I don't have your tech savvy with voice alternatives and I am getting very nervous - my classes start next week. Can you share more about the alternative that you used??? thanks for any help. eileen