Land Terrain to Sculpty

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Shandon Loring

Land Terrain to Sculpty

Post by Shandon Loring »

hi all,
i have various skyboxes that we use for different storytelling venues.
It is really nifty to have authentic looking terrain in these skyboxes
i have that cool little script that reads the terrain in a region and creates a sculpty out of it.
I texture it with some ground terrain texture and it looks really great!
Since it is a sculpty one can even walk on it. Cool right?

My problem comes in when i take that sculpty i have made to another region, then it behaves as Phantom - i.e. it can not be walked on.
In the region it was created in it still works fine, even copies of it work fine. either inworld copies or copies from inventory... they all work fine in the region they were created in, but they act as phantom anywhere else.

Now, there might be some way cooler way to do this that I don't know about. And admittedly I don't know much about creating mesh. But Sculpty would work fine for our purpose.. IF it was still walk-on-able when rezzed where we need it at.

If you'd like to check it out, our world Takodana is currently just hilly terrain, no content.
at 100m or so above the ground is the sculpty of the terrain. Since it was created in Takodana it is walkable.
I set it to Anyone Can Copy if you want to check it out there, and take a copy and checkit out somewhere else you are of course welcome to
grid.kitely.com:8002:Takodana

Another example is our DESERT SANDS venue, the main venue is like an arabian knights village thing, and it is surrounded by, you guessed it Desert Sands. And they look great. Walking around in the village is fine, but if you fly out to the surrounding sands and try to walk around you just sink right through.
If you want to visit that one just go to our Seanchai homeworld (grid.kitely.com:8002:Seanchai) and walk through the gate with the palm trees that is labelled DESERT SANDS.

Any thoughts or suggestios?

Thanks all!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Land Terrain to Sculpty

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

The very large scale sculpties are being turned to Phantom because they place a high load on the Physics engine and slow world startup time when the server needs to calculate their collision meshes. See: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... rovements/

Please note that creating multiple levels (ground + skyboxes) that are all very complex will create avoidable stress on your world and slow down its startup time. Ideally, you'd want to use a separate world for each complex build, and not stack them one on top of the other in skyboxes.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Interesting. Thank you.
There is not a way to turn off phantom on them? The sculpties themselves are 32m cubed.. not the full 256m cubed
They do work in the world they are created in. Even a couple days later after restarting the world.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You can select them each in turn and make them non-Phantom (make sure they aren't linked when you do so). They will remain non-Phantom after world restarts if the system can handle their collision meshes quickly enough during world startup. You'll get an email stating that they were turned Phantom if it can't (as explained in the link above).
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Okey, we can play with it and watch overhead as you helped me to learn yesterday.
But at present the objects are not Phantom in the Object Properties box.
I have clicked and unclicked Phantom, and either way they behave as though they were Phantom.
So I'm not sure how else to make them non-Phantom.
I'll play around with it.
Thank you Ilan
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Please make sure they are not linked with anything else then toggle Phantom off and on for them.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

yeah, that's not really the issue... but thank you very much for your help Ilan :)
i'll try to figure out something

thank you
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Corrupt Viewer Cache... holy cats.. that's all it was.
All works great now!

Thanks again Ilan. :-)
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Spoke to early... that wasn't it... back to not working right...
I guess I just give up...

Unless anyone has a good method to convert a Terrain to a walkable sculpty or mesh?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :cry:
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Would convoar be of any use? Brief article with links here (starts half way down): http://build2understand.10centuries.org ... ith-rocket

Bear in mind that I'm next to clueless when it comes to mesh. I vaguely recall that 3D Builder has alternative export options (OBJ, STL) that can be converted to DAE.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Shandon Loring