Scripts Not Running After Restart

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Koshari Mahana

Re: Scripts Not Running After Restart

Post by Koshari Mahana »

I went into region debugger to see which were the top scripts and took a screenshot. This doesn't seem like it's too bad at all. I do wish there were AOs that were better but still this doesn't seem that high.
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You have to do this immediately after the world is restarted or you won't see the scripts that may be creating load on region restart. When I visited your world there was at least one that had a Time value of 200.
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Okay, I'll do it the next time the region is empty. Thanks for your help with this.
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

I did it 3 different times. All of these were right when the world started up. *The dance balls weren't there until last Sunday so they wouldn't have been what caused it in the past, but maybe one of the others or a combination of them were causing it? It's interesting that a few of the scripts are high everytime but the others seem to vary.
some of their operations may time out during this high-CPU usage period
And "timing out" is what causes a script to stop running? With the doors the box that's usually checked "running" is actually unchecked when it happens and I have to click the building and choose "set scripts to running" and it fixes it. This might explain why then that it's arbitrary and only happens once in a while and to different doors and scripts.

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

It really depends on what the scripts are trying to do when the world starts and the random order in which they do it. For example, if a script does something that requires accessing an external server and that access is slow then that might delay other scripts that use similar functionality which may cause them to fail to complete even if the network connection to the servers they're trying to access is fast. However, if that slow script happens to be executed after those other scripts have completed doing what they need to do then it won't prevent them from completing.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 3):
Koshari MahanaZed deTremontChris Namaste
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Okay, thanks for explaining and yes that explains why it would be so random. I appreciate you helping me get to the bottom of it.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerChris Namaste
Tonia Kara

Post by Tonia Kara »

I run a simulator on Osgrid for educational purposes and one thing I noticed was that if I re-started a region from the console many scripts would fail to start. Anyway if I re-started the simulator Xengine would tell me that all the scripts had been started and then I had no further problems. I have no idea as to why this happens as it is all new to me.
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Tonia Kara wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:00 pm
if I re-started a region from the console many scripts would fail to start. Anyway if I re-started the simulator Xengine would tell me that all the scripts had been started and then I had no further problems.
Hi Tonia. Could you clarify this please? How exactly are you restarting the region in these two cases? I'm confused.
Tonia Kara

Post by Tonia Kara »

Hi John, Osgrid is an open grid and people run their own simulators which connect to the grid. You have access to the Open Simulator Server console. You can re-start regions and you can shut the simulator down and re-start the simulator. In Kitely we don't have access to the Open Simulator console.
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Thanks, Tonia. I've run OSGrid regions myself, and other grids too, so I'm familiar with the OpenSim.exe console.

What I don't understand is the difference between the two scenarios you describe here:
if I re-started a region from the console many scripts would fail to start. Anyway if I re-started the simulator Xengine would tell me that all the scripts had been started and then I had no further problems.