Maximum size for .oar files?

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Gwyddion Oakley

Maximum size for .oar files?

Post by Gwyddion Oakley »

I would like to know, if there is a maximum size for .oar files, please.

Earlier I loaded in a small .oar and it worked perfectly, so then in my private grid I merged that .oar with another, and added displacement, so there is a sim on the ground and one in the sky, in one .oar file.

Then I saved, and tried to load this new .oar file. But I am getting nothing. I open the file from my computer, as before, I can see the 'region.oar' on the page, then I click on 'Replace World' and it says, Error select an oar file to upload.

The file I am trying to use is over 5GB, so is it the size that is the problem?
These users thanked the author Gwyddion Oakley for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Maximum size for .oar files?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Gwyddion,

We limit the allowed OAR size to 2 GB so your 5 GB OAR file is indeed too big to upload into Kitely.

In addition, I would strongly recommend you don't upload builds that contain so much data into a single world on any grid. An OAR file that contains 2 GB of assets means that people visiting your world would need to download 2 GB of data in order to fully rezz it. That would result in very slow rezz times for most people and would create very complex worlds that would result in low viewer FPS on most people's computers.

My recommendation would be to aim to create worlds that contain no more than a few hundred megabytes worth of assets. Those will result in much better performance for most people visiting them. If your world contains more I suggest you optimize it. See, how to do so here: https://kitely.atlassian.net/wiki/space ... erformance
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Gwyddion Oakley
Gwyddion Oakley

Re: Maximum size for .oar files?

Post by Gwyddion Oakley »

Thank you Ilan, I will bear that in mind, and stick with the initial small region.