Oar File question

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Frank Vincent

Oar File question

Post by Frank Vincent »

Hi there, so I finally got round to purchasing my kitely world and went for the 16 region option, thank you for making that possible with your extremely cheap prices. I'm hoping to build an urban grunge rp scene like I use to have in Second Life, though will have to make more of the buildings myself, so it will take a while, anyway I digress from my question. I was wondering in terms of oar files, I have stuff on my localhost setup that I would like to transfer to kitely. I am assuming, I would have to have the same land arrangement when saving my oar file, i.e. 4x4 regions as I can't find a region specific option for uploading oars, but what I was wondering is, if I box stuff up, will they transfer properly, i.e. will the stuff inside of the prims still be present when I load the oar into kitely, or do I need to lay out everything onto the land and upload things like textures and scripts separately?

Any help appreciated :)
These users thanked the author Frank Vincent for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansIlan Tochner
Selby Evans

Re: Oar File question

Post by Selby Evans »

Re urban grunge
New Media arts has a sim in Kitely holding most of Arcadia's products, including the Bodega Supermarket;
https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ne ... ey-Library
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 2):
Frank VincentAlexina Proctor
Frank Vincent

Post by Frank Vincent »

Thank you for that Selby, I must admit it is good to know there will be some urban grunge stuff available. I'm OK on making buildings in blender, but it is time consuming. I do have about 15 buildings under my belt, but in terms of texturing and grunging they are all on a par with each other as I'm no artist, so it will be good to have other people's work to mix in. Thank you again and for a super fast response.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Frank,

You can use the Replace World function in the Files tab of your world's Manage World dialog to replace the entire contents of the world with those of an OAR file. For your 16-region sized world create a similarly sized 1024x1024 VarRegion world on your local setup, save it as an OAR file using the "--publish" option then upload that OAR file into Kitely.

Objects can be boxed and rezzed that way in the regions you back up but make sure to split things between multiple boxes so that you don't create boxes that contain too much RAM to unpack while our system loads the OAR file. Also, keep in mind that the amount of content you have in your world will affect its startup time so you should strive to minimize what you have saved inside the world.

If you wish to bring in content over just to have it in your inventory then create an OAR file(s) with that inventory boxed, upload it into Kitely, extract the contents into your Kitely inventory and only then upload an OAR file that contains your actual world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Frank VincentSelby Evans