Avatar - outfit change once in an Organization world

Ask questions and report issues concerning our Organizations offering
Eileen O'Connor

Avatar - outfit change once in an Organization world

Post by Eileen O'Connor »

I am quite naive as to how avatar are generated. I want to bring in K12 students and want to have a Virtual Private Network. I see that I can have 6 avatars - and can start with the Kitely basics. How do I make avatars - or do I just take the Kitely base avatars and make adjustments to the basic "looks" that I want? Can I take clothing out of my avatar's inventory, dress up the basic avatar and give them names - does that put those clothing on the avatars when they first get in?

In general, I could use more explanation about how avatars are create and modified in the Virtual Grids. I want the students to be able to make adjustment but NOT go out and get outfits (I am glad they can not go to the market on their own). I also like the non-naked avatars. Can I still have that basic underwear, even if I change the avatar outfits? I don't want any mistakes there with the kids.

I would also like the visitors to be able to modify their avatars - as they do in the open grids - but not with clothing that they might select. I do understand that Independent avatars can come in with their own clothing (and those would be qualified adults that I already know), but I don't want random avatar outfits getting into these school spaces.

And, will I be able to modify the basic avatars over time? And, will there some day be the ability to have more than 6 avatars?

I see my needs will grow and I want to know how I can make adjustments.

Sorry for so many questions but more directions on avatar development would be helpful - this is quite important with youth groups. Thanks. eileen
These users thanked the author Eileen O'Connor for the post (total 2):
Tonia KaraIlan Tochner
Selby Evans

Re: Avatar - outfit change once in an Organization world

Post by Selby Evans »

The universal campus:
https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Or ... sal-Campus
has many avatars at the entry point. I think they are all general-safe. You can load that place into your organization place. Or you can get copies of the avatar dispensers into your inventory and take them to the Organization world. Any of the avatars you get there can be modified by the owner.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Eileen O'Connor
Eileen O'Connor

Selby, there are entry-point avatar that you get w/ the Organizations - I am wondering how you adjust those. Great idea about bringing the other avatars in for those who want to change and I will see if I can get a group of them for the Organization linked islands. Thanks for your forever helpfulness. Eileen
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Eileen,

Kitely Organizations enable you to define default avatars for your Organization that your users can select from using the Setup Kitely application which helps them get their computer ready for logging into your Organization. Setup Kitely enables helps configure your user's viewer to access your grid and enables them to select a default avatar from the ones you defined. You aren't limited to defining just 6 such avatars, you can define as many as you wish and people can rerun Setup Kitely to switch between the default avatars you currently have enabled.

Please see this article for details about how such avatars are created and how to assign a world to your Organization: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... ual-grids/

Kitely Organizations enable you to control what locations your users will be able to visit and who will be able to contact them inworld. Having an Organization also enables you to define who can upload content into their inventory. This means you can prevent your students from uploading new textures into their inventory or getting them from other inworld locations (which you don't allow them to visit) or from other people (which you prevent them from being in contact with). This doesn't prevent them from using the built-in viewer tools from modifying their existing avatar but it does make it a lot harder for them to wear inappropriate content.

Please see this article for information about existing user-permissions (more will be added in the future): https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... nd-worlds/

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like.
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

Eileen -- To change the appearance of the avatar you are wearing, right click on the avatar and select "Edit shape." Be sure the avatar you are editing has been saved in your inventory. Because on the first try you will probably not be satisfied with the new shape. There are instructions that let you edit various parts.
Detailed instructions for Firestorm here:
https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_edit_body_part
I would never allow appearance editing as part of instructional time unless that was the subject of the instruction. This is trial and error learning and beginners will take too much time.
Zed deTremont

Post by Zed deTremont »

Hello Eileen,

I do not know how far you want to go with this, actually don't know which grade K12 is, not used to this system. There is a way to get avatars in any grid. The system is simple and if I have it well you can have them clothed too. It's very simple just tweaking some sliders and using your eyes. You pick it up fast. I'll also pass a YouTube how to bring in in open sim, rig, skeleton and all. Might give you more choice.
Perhaps check following links if you would be interested:
Make human: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... loads.html
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTTATdTPBBY
These users thanked the author Zed deTremont for the post:
Eileen O'Connor
Eileen O'Connor

I have been doing some work projects that have pulled me away. I look forward to digging into this Zed eileeen
These users thanked the author Eileen O'Connor for the post:
Zed deTremont
Zed deTremont

Post by Zed deTremont »

If I find some time I'd like to make some mesh Avis myself, wouldn't hurt to get my awful looking puppet on a string in order. Wouldn't hurt to play with it also.
These users thanked the author Zed deTremont for the post:
Chris Namaste