Already, a spammer at my shops

Stores, items and deals
Ada Radius

Already, a spammer at my shops

Post by Ada Radius »

Yikes, open for less than a week, and already. One of my customers, and now friend, told me that he was solicited at my store, to go to another sim, and get free skins there instead. Since Kitely gives us logs of everyone who visits our sims, it took me about two seconds to find out who it was. And that I paid for her minutes there, and that she's got a sim that gives away Linda Kellie skins. So what's the right thing to do?

I was hoping not to have to go back to the SL style of "hostile shop owner" who posts warnings everywhere. Shopping is supposed to be fun.

Ada
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Autumn Dreams
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: Already, a spammer at my shops

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Post yer own Linda Kellie freebies :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

I don't want to go into the particular case at hand because I don't know the full details but, as a general rule, if you find people who are acting in ways that you don't approve of I recommend that you ban them from your world(s). That won't take away their freedom of acting as they do in other places but it will protect you and your world visitors from that behavior while in your world(s).

Our terms of service do not permit people to bully, intimidate, or harass other people nor are people allowed to mislead, act maliciously, or discriminate against other people. If people repeatedly do so while you are in worlds which don't belong to you then please let the relevant world managers know. It is their responsibility to make sure that this conduct stops either by talking to the people who are responsible for that behavior or physically separating the parties using the administrative tools available to world managers.

Please note that a world manager may decide that they prefer the offending party and ban the offended party from the world instead (so the harassment inside their world(s) will stop) but they can't ignore a request to do something about the activity taking place in their world(s) - they have to make it stop to comply with our terms of service. That said, to comply with our terms of service, world managers must make sure that they don't discriminate against groups of people while making use of these administrative tools.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Thank you Ilan! That helps to sort my thinking on this.

I wasn't harmed by the spammer, as my customer bought a nice skin and accessories anyway. But he shouldn't have had to deal with the spammer in the first place, and I need to proactively monitor the sim. I'm starting by posting a sign at the sim landing point that asks people to contact me if they are spammed or otherwise bothered on my sim, and there's a notecard inside the sign that gives the link and appropriate excerpts on Kitely TOS, as Ilan quoted in his post. If it happens again, a warning, then onto the ban list.

Excellent excellent forethought, Ilan and Oren, to give us logs of sim activity, as well as making it less easy for users to make a bazillion alts. I just need to retrain myself on different ways of running a business here, and when I'm wrapped up in the art and design process my other minds are somewhat um muted.
:)
Ada
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Hate to mention, but it is possible the person thought they were genuinely helping the customer by pointing out a place where they could find something for free. (Especially if one of them was new).

Kitely is in the middle of a transition from free stuff to premium items - there has always been resistance to new things, including paying when free is available, and helping someone to find free instead of pay is often considered helpful. (I'd certainly raise an eyebrow or tut disapprovingly though). On the other hand, there are a lot of people (myself included) crying out for new stuff saying take my money :) It's an exciting time !

My thoughts, just relax, take it easy, don't worry about it and just make stuff that's better (or just different) from the freebies ! :)

Ok, I can't really tell without reading the history or knowing anything about the persons involved, but just a thought.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Ada Radius
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Exactly, Dundridge, which is why I need to do my part re due diligence on the sim - understanding my obligations under the TOS as a sim owner especially, before taking any action. Spam in one person's eyes, might be information in another's. Although that argument might be more persuasive if the alleged spammer (how it was perceived by the customer) had been recommending the Linda Kellie Freeby Mall rather than her own sim, it still might have been a misunderstanding. Relaxing, not so much, the details of going retail make me tense, though gawd knows I need the money, baby needs tier.

Making the skins, yah, that's the bliss and I'm delighted that there are people who like them, are buying them, and asking me to work on other stuff they're interested in buying; it's looking like I may even cover my expenses before the marketplace opens woot! My skins are not to everyone's taste, but they are different from and more detailed than the freebies. Note: I have enormous respect for L.K's work; I'm leaning heavily on her contributions to get my shop buildings built. And that she's as careful with credits as I try to be - her acknowledgement that her freeby skins are based on the Eloh freeby skins, for example. I have made quite a few Eloh based skins myself c. 2007 or so; Eloh is how most of us learned to draw on the avatar mesh. If I draw or photosource the foot shading, for example, and I did both, it comes out remarkably like Eloh's, because there just aren't many plausible solutions for that set of polys (hint hint someone, perhaps a game dev mesh maker near you, needs to redesign the default avatar in such a way that old skins and animations will still kind of work, yet fix a few problems). But I digress... :)