Average Avatar Height?

General discussions related to content creation
Lunk Portal

Average Avatar Height?

Post by Lunk Portal »

I am creating avatars and animeshes and I need to know what the average height should be. With animesh, once they are uploaded you cannot adjust the size, so I have been "guessing", but they usually come out on the short side.

I have adjusted the doorways on my buildings to accommodate the largest height setting, but avatars do not look "normal" at the tallest height. What is the average height people generally use? 6 foot?

Thanks
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post:
Ilan Tochner
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Kimm Starr

Re: Average Avatar Height?

Post by Kimm Starr »

I've looked into this as well since I make animesh. When I first started on Kitely I didn't realize how small I was until I tried hyper gridding and was denied access to a few different worlds for having a child avatar. It was not a child avatar, just my actual avatar with my actual height in real life. I then realized all of the animesh I made was too small. One thing you can do is bounce around to other people's sims here wearing what you think is an average avatar. Test out the furniture and surroundings. Do you look tiny on average to several different builder's stuff? As far as I can tell, women are average 6' to 6.5' and men 6.5 to 7'.
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post:
Lunk Portal
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Kimm Starr wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:23 pm
I've looked into this as well since I make animesh. When I first started on Kitely I didn't realize how small I was until I tried hyper gridding and was denied access to a few different worlds for having a child avatar. It was not a child avatar, just my actual avatar with my actual height in real life. I then realized all of the animesh I made was too small. One thing you can do is bounce around to other people's sims here wearing what you think is an average avatar. Test out the furniture and surroundings. Do you look tiny on average to several different builder's stuff? As far as I can tell, women are average 6' to 6.5' and men 6.5 to 7'.
Yeah I think the reason I’m having this problem is I built everything on my Sim so when I made my avatar 6 foot tall I built everything to fit him thinking sheesh there are 7 foot tall people lol so I’ll have to jump around and check other Sims out
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Just to complicate matters I have two quite different avatars, an old system avatar that is ~6 ft and a newer mesh avatar that is ~7 ft 6 in (resized to fit a mesh outfit I bought and couldn't shrink). Both sometimes wear a (different) top hat just to be even more awkward.

Average ceiling height in the UK is allegedly about 7 ft 10 in but Georgian/Victorian period high status ceilings were much higher, maybe 10-11 ft. See https://architecttwocents.com/old-houses-high-ceiling/ for interesting rationale/background.

Of course, the position of the avatar camera is a significant influence but even then the default positions in FS and SceneGate are very different. Preferences will vary. I rather like the lower position in SceneGate but not enough to adjust it in FS :)

None of this helps much but there's a nice blog by Thirza Ember about my current build that demonstrates the similar issues I face, especially if I start doing interiors. Although I didn't take any measurements, I would guess that 75%+ of those visiting were smaller than my larger avatar and I was probably one of the two tallest. https://hgsafari.blogspot.com/2022/06/s ... docks.html
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Lunk Portal
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Graham Mills wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:49 pm
Just to complicate matters I have two quite different avatars, an old system avatar that is ~6 ft and a newer mesh avatar that is ~7 ft 6 in (resized to fit a mesh outfit I bought and couldn't shrink). Both sometimes wear a (different) top hat just to be even more awkward.

Average ceiling height in the UK is allegedly about 7 ft 10 in but Georgian/Victorian period high status ceilings were much higher, maybe 10-11 ft. See https://architecttwocents.com/old-houses-high-ceiling/ for interesting rationale/background.

Of course, the position of the avatar camera is a significant influence but even then the default positions in FS and SceneGate are very different. Preferences will vary. I rather like the lower position in SceneGate but not enough to adjust it in FS :)

None of this helps much but there's a nice blog by Thirza Ember about my current build that demonstrates the similar issues I face, especially if I start doing interiors. Although I didn't take any measurements, I would guess that 75%+ of those visiting were smaller than my larger avatar and I was probably one of the two tallest. https://hgsafari.blogspot.com/2022/06/s ... docks.html
My wife and I used to live in a Victorian house that had 10-foot ceilings, 5 bedrooms, and two kitchens, I loved how huge that place was! But it was in town, and I am from the city and prefer the country so we moved LOL I wish we could have taken that house and put it on the property we own in the country!
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post:
Graham Mills
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Lunk Portal wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:32 am
I have adjusted the doorways on my buildings to accommodate the largest height setting
You can solve any doorway vs oversized avatar issues by using physics models like the one I described here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5918&p=29403#p29403
What is the average height people generally use?
I only use avatars with RL realistic sizes myself, so anthing from slightly less than 150 to slightly more than 190 cm.
I don't buy the bloated sizes that are still so common in SL and on OS. Size in a virtual world is relative and the only thing you get when you scale everything up is less space so I don't see the point.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixLunk Portal
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Heh, feel free to ignore my "bloated" avatar in your design calculations.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Lunk Portal
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

I was once in sl a quite successful Animation seller under another name.... I quit cause Sl wasn't smart enough to code relativity in sizes to animations.... arrg