Flying

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Ilan Tochner

Re: Flying

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Then it's likely that the script that your plane is using is limiting how high it can fly.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Graham Mills
Scurvy Ragu 2
Has thanked: 0

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Yes your right
These users thanked the author Scurvy Ragu 2 for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Belatedly I made a plane using this old script and didn't encounter any height limit (up to 1000 m) using ubODE physics.

https://www.outworldz.com/lib/Simple_Ai ... ne_1_1.lsl
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

that was in Outworldz
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

No, on a Kitely 3x3 Premium world. The Outworldz website has a useful script repository including several flight-related.

Of course, you don't need a custom-built plane, a single prim will do, preferably elongated a little along its x-axis. I paid no attention to finer details (of which I have scant knowledge anyway) but was pleasantly surprised when the script worked much as anticipated. It probably isn't the most sophisticated flight script but I've been in OpenSim long enough to appreciate how diabolical physics-based scripts were in the early-ish days. That said, this script could do a better job of slowing the plane on landing. At the moment dismounting tends to see it slide off into the distance so do give it a name so you can locate it via area search if necessary..
Story Link

Post by Story Link »

We have a little script we use in our boats that come from our boat rezzers.
The rezzer keeps a boat always available for guests to paddle off in, which is cool.
But of course they don't ever return the boats, that'd be a real hassle for them to do so.
So each of the boats has a "Die when Abandoned" script in it, set to whatever time seems necessary.
Most are like 3 minutes, but the ones that folks take to Picnic Beach we have set to 3 hours.

Anyway... this may be something you all already have and use all the time, I dunno.. but if you want this script just holler
These users thanked the author Story Link for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Thanks, Shandon. Using llDie() to derez on standing is certainly a possibility but currently I'm looking at various other fun options, viz material friction/restitution and maybe some kind of physical barrier/arrestor gear. As things stand the down key in the script reverses the direction of flight which is a tad unusual and could maybe be used for braking. Anyone who thinks I know nothing about planes or vehicles is not far off the mark but that's half the fun of course.
Story Link wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:11 pm
We have a little script we use in our boats that come from our boat rezzers.
The rezzer keeps a boat always available for guests to paddle off in, which is cool.
But of course they don't ever return the boats, that'd be a real hassle for them to do so.
So each of the boats has a "Die when Abandoned" script in it, set to whatever time seems necessary.
Most are like 3 minutes, but the ones that folks take to Picnic Beach we have set to 3 hours.

Anyway... this may be something you all already have and use all the time, I dunno.. but if you want this script just holler
Scurvy Ragu 2

Post by Scurvy Ragu 2 »

Ok dudes and dudas,, problem fixed. Mr Kayacker came to the rescue and now we are flying higher than ever.
These users thanked the author Scurvy Ragu 2 for the post (total 3):
Graham MillsIlan TochnerDot Matrix