?? Is Mesh new in Opensim or Kitely ??

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Blossom Faith

?? Is Mesh new in Opensim or Kitely ??

Post by Blossom Faith »

Hello All quick question ? being from 2ndlife also now a resident here in kitely many time's I've bought mesh lately I've been spammed in other forum's because another grid has turned on the mesh is this mesh new to kitely as well as I've used mesh close to 2 year's in 2ndlife with ease and mesh here is free so whats the big deal?,

People seem to be trying to convince 2ndlife resident's it's the end of the world and before someone bash's me in a different forum for loving kitely and loving 2ndlife as almost everyone I know is in both place's, it would be nice if I could defend my home's with some added insite to this.
Any advice I alway's prefer not to argue with other's but being able to make some valid point's are good? Blossom
Olivia Lothiriel

Re: ?? Is Mesh new in Opensim or Kitely ??

Post by Olivia Lothiriel »

Blossom Faith wrote:Hello All quick question ? being from 2ndlife also now a resident here in kitely many time's I've bought mesh lately I've been spammed in other forum's because another grid has turned on the mesh is this mesh new to kitely as well as I've used mesh close to 2 year's in 2ndlife with ease and mesh here is free so whats the big deal?,

People seem to be trying to convince 2ndlife resident's it's the end of the world and before someone bash's me in a different forum for loving kitely and loving 2ndlife as almost everyone I know is in both place's, it would be nice if I could defend my home's with some added insite to this.
Any advice I alway's prefer not to argue with other's but being able to make some valid point's are good? Blossom
Welcome Blossom:) Just think of it like this 16 yr old teen girl all her friends have drivers license but her mom and dad say no wait til 18th birthday
2 or 3 years rolls by she gets her license also gets a car she goes crazy to tell everyone
she gets girly frantic while her friends thinks she might have lost a few marbles because they have been driving for years :mrgreen:

:FYI: The Simms have had mesh for many many years this is more like the kid in class everyone agrees is weird just think of that place as that :mrgreen: Your Pal Olivia
These users thanked the author Olivia Lothiriel for the post:
Blossom Faith
“Fashions fade, style is eternal.”
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

is this mesh new to kitely as well
No, it's not new here. Actually, I can't remember when Kitely didn't have it. They recommend Firestorm or a similar viewer on the assumption you will need to see mesh.

I don't know how much mesh is being used. Some people are very keen, others a little more leisurely in picking it up.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post (total 2):
Blossom FaithJune Nariel
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Kitely has always had mesh. Most other opensim grids have had it too, from the beginning. Kitely also now has easily accessible normal and specular mapping with the Kokua viewer, now that the Kitely plugin is configured for it. All the toys, none of the tier or server side lag :)

I think one of the things lacking in OSG is what LL is now doing a bit better, which is this: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Good_Building_Practices

Ada
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineBlossom FaithDundridge Dreadlow
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Hi Blossom-))

Since I am keen to follow comments about the Metaverse I know you are referring to the inwz grid.

inwz forked off of opensim development at version 6.5 and thus have not had the benefits of the continuing dev work on OS and kitely currently has V7.4....7.5 is also out but Kitely decided to wait for the production version of 7.6...which is out but not production ready tho many people are running it just fine.

So inwz has had to do a lot of dev work simply fixing old OS bugs that the OS team has already fixed, such as mesh, which has been around, I think I heard, for around 2 years in opensim.

They are currently hyping it up, because, of course, they think "their" mesh is better than everyone else's AND it is a selling point as many ppl have many misconceptions about opensim and they are a for-profit grid who has a couple of doz ppl who talk alot...lol...because they have a vested interest in making money in a grid, imo, which is falling further and further behind opensim.

So this is why you are hearing of this so much from them. It is simply not newsworthy for everyone else so you don't hear of it.

There is not a lot, but a growing amount, of mesh in opensim because many OS folx like prims and sculpts...but this is changing.

I personally think Kitely's market will put mesh out more to the rest of the Metaverse, especially as inwz market, a 3rd party market, is currently down.

This is a similar issue with planes and such, tho there are some great mesh cars, I even have a box on my region here for folx to come get for free.

When inwz finally gets their full physics there will be a lot of buzz from then then also, while physics is a given everyplace else....money talks.

So, you have the truth of the matter now-))
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 3):
Blossom FaithDakota SkydreamerJune Nariel
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Blossom Faith

Post by Blossom Faith »

Wow thank you to everyone for such a fast reply and now I can rest knowing it is something being hyped so someone could try to shake a few dollar's out of us :roll:
Way it is being put out I thought was dawn of a new age and my mesh clothing would not work :oops: Well I will not sign up at that place if they think it is ok to trash 2ndlife to make that place look better then they would not have my best interest at heart, Thanks all
These users thanked the author Blossom Faith for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Constance Peregrine

good plan in my opinion...lol

Ephemeral wanderer...
Constance Peregrine

Ephemeral wanderer...
Caitanya Rupa 2

Post by Caitanya Rupa 2 »

Ada Radius wrote:Kitely has always had mesh. Most other opensim grids have had it too, from the beginning. Kitely also now has easily accessible normal and specular mapping with the Kokua viewer, now that the Kitely plugin is configured for it.

KK Normal and Specular Mapping is really exciting.

But if I use Kokua and add normal mapping, will it only show up in other Kokua Viewers or can other viewers see the Normal Mapping as well?
If not, it's kind of like mesh - good only if most of the viewers being used can see it.

Runs off to read more about normal mapping....
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

And I may have spoken too soon about specular and normal mapping at Kitely, as I haven't gotten the blasted thing to work here, though I haven't spent enough time on it to have a valid opinion yet, so this is not a complaint. So far when I add the two maps, they don't stick, and revert back to default as soon as I go to another tab. I'm hoping to have time next week to bang on it some more. Making the maps themselves turned out to be easy (I use PhotoShop), and logging in via Kokua is working well, no crashes or any other problems. I'll try the new mesh deformer viewer as soon as I have time - that one is going to be fun, too.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 2):
Dakota SkydreamerJune Nariel