Relay For Life and opensim worlds

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Mykyl Nordwind

Relay For Life and opensim worlds

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

For many years I was active in the RFL (Relay For Life) kiosks in SL - hosting them and being members of groups which helped to raise funds for cancer research. These were, and still are, an impressive use of virtual worlds to raise funds for cancer research and my inability to continue to participate due to limited internet access has got me thinking about broader lines and ways to use virtual worlds. With the new restrictions on virtual currency, and the problems I am seeing with people trying to participate in RFL through Inworldz I am wondering if there are scripters out there who would be interested in creating kiosks in ANY virtual world that would allow people to donate directly to a PayPal account. These would have benefits not only to charity causes like RFL, but to any vendor who wished to sell items outside of whatever virtual world of which they were a member. I do not have the scripting abilities or knowledge to do this, but would it not be a benefit to all virtual worlds to work this out? It does not seem, from what I understanding of programming and the internet that this would be too difficult, but I know that I do not have the ability to implement this. Any thoughts or ideas or scripts? :)
These users thanked the author Mykyl Nordwind for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineDundridge Dreadlow
Constance Peregrine

Re: Relay For Life and opensim worlds

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I'm a bit tired but couldn't ppl simply put a box with directions on it to click it, go to a website with a paypal donation button on it, and pay there?

Some entertainers are doing this in opensim for any tips ppl may wish to give.

However, the issue with using paypal is one of people then knowing real names, something which is rather antithetical to most people's game playing.

If one could pay in some way that leaves them anonymous, that would be good. Possibly with the Kitely market RFL could put a prim with some gift in it and put a value to it, or several?

btw, I am curious what issues you speak of in relation to inworldz RFL donations? I was kinda involved when it first started there.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Olivia Lothiriel
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Sounds simple enough...

It is VERY simple to send a clicking individual to webpage with information, and if that page has buy/donate info embedded..

More advanced things are available with the paypal API

Happy to help.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Mykyl Nordwind

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

From my own experience - people give more when they are anonymous. Yes- it is simple to re-direct to a web page, but with a charitable donation it is more "work" for someone to give to a cause. I specifically remember the "boobiethon" in Winterfell (SL) where there were challenges ongoing during the dance, and I know that I myself often gave a lot more that I would have because of the "live" interaction of the events and challenges that others offered (I'll donate 1000 lindens if we get 1000 lindens of donations within the next 30 seconds). As to mine's comment - ACS (American Cancer Society) is not sure that they can trust the managers of IW and don't want to really commit resources to the process. If there were a way to directly donate to ACS instead of to a Kitely or IW or OpenSim world - something that could be within those worlds but not really connected to them - donations would be much higher.
Mykyl Nordwind

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

What about using something like Bitcoins"?
Mykyl Nordwind

Post by Mykyl Nordwind »

(I am just trying to foment conversation here - toss ideas and thoughts around)
Dundridge Dreadlow

Paypal requires you to pay on the paypal website, however you arrive there. This is for obvious security reasons.

This can be via a click, or an in-world prim click. More information can easily be displayed on the kiosks in world. Anonymous is not going to happen.
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

ok, interesting. I knew a Bain Finch who does the RFL inworldz....

but, anywho, not important really.

It looks like you wish to find some way to get donations that are not tied to any grid.

Again the problem is anonymity, which many value in these games. You could get a small percentage of those who don't care about that though. Possibly people could pool donations in some way and have a trusted designate who has no issue with their real life name being known to RFL do the paypal donation.

Just put it out there and let people do this on their own with their own networks.

Perhaps just put this in a url giver prim.

https://donate.cancer.org/index

That may be the simplest thing-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

..or select a flag or something to go to your own countries relay for life page..
Of course, they could always open up a free world on Kitely.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Constance Peregrine
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dundridge Dreadlow

...or...
set up a merchant account on Kitely and sell 1 dollar "I donated" items when the market goes live (!)
(assuming they can prove registered charity info, etc)
PS. Kitely is awesome.