What do others think about kitely plaza ?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Dot Macchi

Re: What do others think about kitely plaza ?

Post by Dot Macchi »

Ilan Tochner wrote:As I'll only be able to attend the meeting this week for an hour we probably won't be able to finalize the design. However, I suggest everyone interested in this project visit Rikku's mockup as it can be a good basis to start the discussion from once we finalize the goals. If other people have other approaches/layouts in mind it would be great if they could mockup, sketch, or otherwise describe them as well before the meeting so people will have time to consider them as well. I'd like the goal for this week's meeting to be to finalize on what the world will include and, if possible, decide on a general layout.
Thanks for looking at this again, Ilan.

I'm worried that two or three days before the meeting won't give all those interested enough time to mock up a layout. Would it be possible to keep this coming meeting focused on reaching agreement on what should be included? Then people could take that into account in any mockups to be developed over the next week (or so)...

And would it be helpful to start a new thread so that the design/decision process is documented? (Maybe starting from Wednesday's meeting notes)

================
Edit: I've just visited Rikku's mock-up. Here's a link to it: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Rik ... ay/Genesis

It's nicely done, and will be helpful in focusing thoughts on what is needed (I note the Hypergate!). Thank you, Rikku! :)
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post:
Ruby O'Degee
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

I agree, it's best that we keep the next meeting focused on what should be included. 1 hour isn't enough for both objectives and I think we should give people time to prepare a mockup if they're interested in doing so after we're outlined what the world will include.

I also agree that a dedicated thread with a proper title would come in handy as well and possibly attract feedback from people who may not be interested in reading the weekly meeting summaries.
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Amid all the discussions, one thing particularly needs to be said:

A big THANK YOU! to the original contributors to the Plaza, that recognises their generosity and their achievement

They put in a lot of imagination, skill, effort and time to develop the Plaza according to a plan that was thought to be appropriate at that time. It's not easy to work in a group project like this.

Please don't see these discussions as a criticism of their work, or a devaluation of their input and skill.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post (total 5):
Constance PeregrineIlan TochnerMin TigerpawRikku CosplaySherrie Melody
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Agreed, Dot. My impression was that the Plaza had moved us forward and those concerned had made a valuable contribution.

I was chatting to Min about this at the weekend (on the Plaza, naturally) and, to cut a long story short, we thought that if the dual use/megaregion approach hadn't really worked, then maybe a single region with a higher avatar density would be worth trying. Also, while there are many good things about the Plaza, one does get the impression that the arrival point and adjacent freebie store were an afterthought rather than pivotal.

My vote would go to a customised version of a region such as Stuart where the shops etc would be geared towards explaining the Kitely experience and making suggestions as to what to do next. Separate trails for n00bs and SLers based on Allen's GameKit would be one possibility with perhaps a small prize in KC for completion. Of course, the trail could include teleport links to other free regions, including elements of the current Plaza.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Dot Macchi
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

ok ok ok!! All this talk has made me have to offer Terraforming, for whatever that is worth, if it is wanted.

I will NOT get my feelings hurt if you all decide on other ways of that and I do have a project I just started which is actually keeping me busy enough.

But, it is offered, as long as I am not drawn into any issues...just point me to the region and give me the vision of terraforming wanted and I will get it done...I can also work in my soas and simply pass the file along.

I need no credit for this if it happens and I will not say another word about it if desired.

To add my 2 cents tho, lol....I think the Plaza that Blady organized and others contributed their time and efforts too, is awesome..and I think it should stay if possible.

If I was to do this, I would do a simple ONE region, possibly a 4 region mega to show folx how they work so well, but all but one being water or some nice terraformed islands with some nice get-away type content.

Here is a photo of the 3rd Rock Grids Welcome regions that Linda primarily designed as a possible addition to thinking on all this.
3rd Rock Grid Welcome Regions.jpg
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Paul Wilson

Post by Paul Wilson »

With the current plaza, I wonder how many people have discovered the hidden area in it?

In the design of the new plaza, it might be interesting to have hidden areas and encourage new users to explore these hidden areas. This will help new users learn to navigate and give then an enjoyable experience of discovery.
These users thanked the author Paul Wilson for the post:
Dot Macchi
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I'm planning to be at the meeting, god willin an the crik don' riz.
Agree with contacting the Plaza builders and getting their input first, if they're still willing to be involved, before making decisions.
Rikku Cosplay

Post by Rikku Cosplay »

:| .
Last edited by Rikku Cosplay on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

actually, NO commercial grids other than Kitely offers megas...in fact, one in particular thinks of them as a kludge-))

[amazing what some people will think, and do, based upon self-interests]
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

The mockup is lovely. But I think too creative, too many textures, too many purposes. If we can figure out how to make a good welcome center we'll be doing well. Trying to sell stuff and entertain people as well is (as I think about this more) a bad idea. Freebies yah, getting people dressed is a good idea.

I'm really hoping there's no music streamed in the final build, as there's no way to please everyone on the choice, and too many opportunities to be annoying.

:)
Ada