Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ada Radius

Re: Kitely welcome area: What does it need to include?

Post by Ada Radius »

My suggestion was that Dot LEAD the team, not build it all, or necessarily any of it, by herself. Because she's good at pulling diverse viewpoints together and understands Ilan and Oren's process, and the technical requirements, from building the transfer station. As I said (and also donated for the transfer station) - I'm happy to offer textures or avatar components if they're needed or wanted.
Ada
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Ada Radius wrote:I'm happy to offer textures or avatar components if they're needed or wanted.
Thanks for this offer, Ada -- much appreciated!

I wonder, too, if you might help us understand how we might build more efficiently. I know you have a lot of expertise in that area. Would you let us pick your brains?

This request also applies to others with skills in the various areas. Remember Ilan's post listing Content creation guidelines for lag-free worlds. Perhaps we could discuss how exactly to put these into practice when planning and building the KWC (but all this might be better in a separate thread).
Ilan wrote:The following list is not exhaustive but it does cover some of the basic recommendations for creating responsive worlds:

DO reuse objects, assets and textures after uploading them once into Kitely.
DO NOT upload multiple copies of the same assets.

DO use the lowest texture resolutions that still looks good for the object inworld when viewed at a reasonable distance for that object's placement in the world.
DO NOT use 1024x1024 texture resolutions unless the object has a large visible surface area or is used in multiple objects in the world that have a combined large visible surface area.

DO use scripts that change object properties just once when the world starts.
DO NOT use scripts that constantly update objects.

DO use object's texture properties to create texture animations.
DO NOT use scripts that constantly update objects.

DO use scripts that are triggered by an inworld event.
DO NOT use scripts that constantly check if a condition exists.

DO make objects phantom if possible.
DO NOT make hollow objects (or linked objects that form a hollow object) non-phantom.
===========
Edited to add: So that everything is in one place, please add any suggestions and advice to the original thread: Content creation guidelines for lag-free worlds.
Last edited by Dot Macchi on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Just to add in some thoughts I have that I want to highlight.

* Yes, to making items phantom in as many regards as possible.

* I offered my terraforming and it is still on the table if wanted tho discussion as to implementation will likely need private talks.

* Some awesome people are involved with Kitely. Some I know well from other places are Sarge Misfit [all sorts of things], Phoneix Dreamscape [NPCs and flying things], who both have some excellent knowledge. Yes, of course there are others, and some I am forgetting atm. These folx should be contacted to see if they wish to help. I know Phoneix had an auto flying plane in a grid once, very cool. I think Johnny Nightly is still involved with Kitely also.

* A 9 region mega is MUST imho.

* Gates to the current Plaza and other locations is a very good idea.

* Using the OAR ability here is a very good idea.

* Re-using textures is a very good idea.

* Open and simple concept is a very good idea.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Thanks, Minethere. That is generous of you.
Constance Peregrine

Well, I do have a large project I am currently working on for a customer but I do like Kitely a lot.

I may need to do this in my own soas or make an alt for the purpose in kitely.....assuming my help is wanted in this regard. It is fine if not, it is just an offer, other people can terraform also and likely many better than me ...lol

I did do some free work for 3rd Rock grid in the past, smoothing out around 30 of their grid owned regions, for free, so I set a precedence in this regard already...lol

Alot of it depends on how it is done, as I am watching...

Ephemeral wanderer...
Rikku Cosplay

Post by Rikku Cosplay »

:|
Last edited by Rikku Cosplay on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Rikku Cosplay for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Many thanks for the offer, Rikku.

I don't think the layout or even size of the welcome centre has been decided yet -- it's all still at the discussion and planning stage. However, once it all gets underway, the sort of landscaping items you mention will be very welcome indeed.

Umm... you don't have an inworld store in Kitely yet, do you? I've been looking at what you have for sale in SL. It looks good. Count me in as a future Kitely-based customer!
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you everyone who has offered to help.

I've seen a sample of your creations and I think they would be a great addition to the Kitely Welcome Center (each person contributing in his or her own area of expertise).

We will need to pay close attention to total download size and test things thoroughly when creating this new world to make sure that the target quick-rez low-lag goal is achieved. Optimization of texture size, LOD, and object reuse is key to achieving this goal.

I think a new collection of default avatars (family friendly - underpants baked into skins) will also be great. We could replace the current 4 women, 3 men collection we have now with a more culturally acceptable variety (5 women 5 men is a good goal). We would then replace the random gender-appropriate avatars we assign new users now with these avatars and allow the new users to switch to a different one of these avatars using vendors near the landing point (maybe breaking it into 2 parts - choose avatar, choose outfit).

As for landscaping I'd love to see an elven forest somewhere in the build. Something that is not too fantasy-oriented for serious uses but shows that there is more to Kitely than just real-world activities.

Building this will require a lot of restraint when deciding what not to include. We want to keep it clean while leaving the person arriving to the world with a feeling that the place was professionally made and isn't just a copy of something they have seen many times before. A zen garden not a wild jungle.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Ilan Tochner wrote: As for landscaping I'd love to see an elven forest somewhere in the build. Something that is not too fantasy-oriented for serious uses but shows that there is more to Kitely than just real-world activities.

Building this will require a lot of restraint when deciding what not to include. We want to keep it clean while leaving the person arriving to the world with a feeling that the place was professionally made and isn't just a copy of something they have seen many times before. A zen garden not a wild jungle.
I've been working on a forest at "A Welcome Plaza". I'm not sure what we mean by an "elvin forest" though. Ilan, if you get a sec, can you take a look?
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Constance Peregrine

A possible direction on Elven-))

Also, Buni Chuku, who is in Kitely also [whom some met at a couple of the meetings] has black skins...I will direct her to this thread now for her own input.

Ephemeral wanderer...