Dot Matrix? Who?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Dot Macchi

Dot Matrix? Who?

Post by Dot Macchi »

One of the things I've found since first having an avatar, back in the days of the GameTap era of Myst Online: Uru Live (MOUL), is that names matter. Dot was the name I chose then for my avatar -- no surname needed in those days.

Then in 2008, just a year later, GameTap closed MOUL down. As many people have discovered before and since, it is difficult to lose an avatar: part of your real self seems invested in its character and actions, and the friendships made inworld can run deep. So, together with her MOUL friends, Dot moved into There.com, and, a year later, into Second Life.

It was the time when SL made you choose a surname from a list. I like puns, I'd been a .Mac user from the year dot, so Dot Macchi it was.

This Dot lived through a lot of story, both in-character (IC, as a fictional character) and out-of-character (OOC, or in real life). You'll glimpse some of it in the Devokan worlds -- the losing of the original Devokan and its neighbouring tree village; the journey across to the new universe (OSgrid in this instance); the subsequent discoveries of new worlds/Ages; the interweaving of others' stories and worlds, ...

Dot Macchi's IC threads in the Devokan tapestry of stories seem to be drawing to a close, and her OOC self has been helping with various tasks with Kitely (e.g. summarising some of the Mentors Group meetings).

The person behind the Dot Macchi avatar is thinking it is time to move on. Why should her main avatar continue with the same SL legacy surname when she is now in the OpenSim Metaverse?

So... Look out for Dot Matrix. Still the same Dot, still punning -- this time with maths and pixel printing -- still the same person behind the avatar... but perhaps with a new (IC) story to tell, and new (OOC) projects to complete.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineDanko WhitfieldMarstol Nitely
Dot Matrix

Re: Dot Matrix? Who?

Post by Dot Matrix »

/me waves to Kitely friends :)
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineDanko WhitfieldMarstol Nitely
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Misfit was one of those listed surnames, but not from SL. I can't remember from where, I was grid hopping trying to find a new home. AviNation most likely, perhaps InWorldz, but it is such a fitting name for me that I have made it my own. Sarge is what people ahve called me since I was a kid, so that is more my name than what is printed on my birth certificate.

Btw, have you ever heard of a Canadian made CGI animated series named Reboot? One of the main characters is Dot Matrix. Loved the show and the character is a good strong female. She ran the whole city, as a matter of fact :) http://reboot.wikia.com/wiki/Dot_Matrix
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineDot MatrixDundridge Dreadlow
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Sarge. I didn't know about Reboot. Hmm.

:twisted:
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Dot Matrix wrote:Thanks, Sarge. I didn't know about Reboot. Hmm.

:twisted:
I was glued to it :-) You should see the final episode. They recap the whole series to Pirates of Penzance! I fell outta my chair laughing :lol:
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Allen Partridge

Post by Allen Partridge »

I loved Reboot. ;)

Anyway - welcome Dot Matrix. Dot swap duly noted. ;)

--Allen
These users thanked the author Allen Partridge for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Check out Virtually Human Builders Guides and Metaverse Ideas Center in Kitely: [url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Virtually%20Human/119/31/23[/url] or visit my YouTube Channel to see what's happening in Virtual Worlds [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/virtuallyhuman/[/youtube]
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

<- Big Reboot fan :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.