Few questions about Jewelry

General discussions related to content creation
Isis Ophelia

Few questions about Jewelry

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Hello

I have just started to make some jewelry and see myself as a learner. How do you offer jewelry? no copy or copy? I have made mine copy because thought that way it's easier for the customer to receive a re delivering in case things go wrong. But what would be the reasons to make it no copy?

About demos. For example if a set has necklace and earrings or for complete sets, which have also bangles and a ring, how do you offer the demos?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions, either as customer or jewelry maker :)
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Sarge Misfit

Re: Few questions about Jewelry

Post by Sarge Misfit »

In my opinion, it is good to make things Copy. Then, if something gets screwed up, the customer hasn't lost out. With that, make things No Transfer or you run the real risk of seeing your item given away all over the place. I make items Modifiable, but scripts No Modify. That way, people can resize things to make them fit them properly and also gives them a way to customize. The scripts are No Modify so as to prevent people from tinkering and breaking the functionality of the item.

I can see making something No Copy if its a one time use sort of thing. An example: for role play, a healing potion. Making it No Copy means that it is used as it should be, consumed and then its gone.
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post (total 2):
Isis OpheliaDeuce Halsey
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Thank you Sarge for your comments. A question about the modify permission. I do it for clothes, they are copy/mod. In SL there are various scripts around to clone an object, one inserts it in the content of modify items. That is the reason why I made the shoes no mod. Wondering if there are such scripts in Opensim. If they are not, there is no point that I continue making the shoes and now the jewelry modify with a resizer script.

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I've never used a resizer script, but there should be some around. In fact, your old SL script may very well work, many of mine do. Its certainly worth trying. If not, check the script wiki's and libraries of other OpenSim based grids and forums.

hmmmm ....
Lookee what I found :)
http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4076

Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I guess this is the good one...

Now...clone script? hmmm....never seen one personally but there are copybot viewers so what is the point?

otoh, I really would love to get two scripts "Obey Me" that wordfromthewise holds close to his heart and a multi-grid chatterbox scripts the 3rg folx just will not let go of....grrr

Code: Select all

// Linkset Resizer with Menu
// version 1.00 (25.04.2010)
// by: Brilliant Scientist
// --
// This script resizes all prims in a linkset, the process is controlled via a menu.
// The script works on arbitrary linksets and requires no configuration.
// The number of prims of the linkset it can process is limited only by the script's memory.
// The script is based on "Linkset Resizer" script by Maestro Linden.
// http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linkset_resizer
// This script still doesn't check prim linkability rules, which are described in:
// http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linkability_Rules
// Special thanks to:
// Ann Otoole

float MIN_DIMENSION=0.0001; // the minimum scale of a prim allowed, in any dimension
float MAX_DIMENSION=64.0; // the maximum scale of a prim allowed, in any dimension

float max_scale;
float min_scale;

float   cur_scale = 1.0;
integer handle;
integer menuChan;

float min_original_scale=10.0; // minimum x/y/z component of the scales in the linkset
float max_original_scale=0.0; // maximum x/y/z component of the scales in the linkset

list link_scales = [];
list link_positions = [];

makeMenu()
{
    llListenRemove(handle);
    menuChan = 50000 + (integer)llFrand(50000.00);
    handle = llListen(menuChan,"",llGetOwner(),"");

//the button values can be changed i.e. you can set a value like "-1.00" or "+2.00"
    //and it will work without changing anything else in the script
    llDialog(llGetOwner(),"Max scale: "+(string)max_scale+"\nMin scale: "+(string)min_scale+"\n \nCurrent scale: "+
        (string)cur_scale,["-0.01","-0.05","-0.10","+0.01","+0.05","+0.10","MIN SIZE","RESTORE","MAX SIZE","DELETE..."],menuChan);
}

integer scanLinkset()
{
    integer link_qty = llGetNumberOfPrims();
    integer link_idx;
    vector link_pos;
    vector link_scale;

//script made specifically for linksets, not for single prims
    if (link_qty > 1)
    {
        //link numbering in linksets starts with 1
        for (link_idx=1; link_idx <= link_qty; link_idx++)
        {
            link_pos=llList2Vector(llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(link_idx,[PRIM_POSITION]),0);
            link_scale=llList2Vector(llGetLinkPrimitiveParams(link_idx,[PRIM_SIZE]),0);

// determine the minimum and maximum prim scales in the linkset,
            // so that rescaling doesn't fail due to prim scale limitations
            if(link_scale.x<min_original_scale) min_original_scale=link_scale.x;
            else if(link_scale.x>max_original_scale) max_original_scale=link_scale.x;
            if(link_scale.y<min_original_scale) min_original_scale=link_scale.y;
            else if(link_scale.y>max_original_scale) max_original_scale=link_scale.y;
            if(link_scale.z<min_original_scale) min_original_scale=link_scale.z;
            else if(link_scale.z>max_original_scale) max_original_scale=link_scale.z;

link_scales    += [link_scale];
            link_positions += [(link_pos-llGetRootPosition())/llGetRootRotation()];
        }
    }
    else
    {
        llOwnerSay("error: this script doesn't work for non-linked objects");
        return FALSE;
    }

max_scale = MAX_DIMENSION/max_original_scale;
    min_scale = MIN_DIMENSION/min_original_scale;

return TRUE;
}

resizeObject(float scale)
{
    integer link_qty = llGetNumberOfPrims();
    integer link_idx;
    vector new_size;
    vector new_pos;

if (link_qty > 1)
    {
        //link numbering in linksets starts with 1
        for (link_idx=1; link_idx <= link_qty; link_idx++)
        {
            new_size   = scale * llList2Vector(link_scales, link_idx-1);
            new_pos    = scale * llList2Vector(link_positions, link_idx-1);

if (link_idx == 1)
            {
                //because we don't really want to move the root prim as it moves the whole object
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(link_idx, [PRIM_SIZE, new_size]);
            }
            else
            {
                llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(link_idx, [PRIM_SIZE, new_size, PRIM_POSITION, new_pos]);
            }
        }
    }
}

{
    state_entry()
    {
        if (scanLinkset())
        {
            //llOwnerSay("resizer script ready");
        }
        else
        {
            llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());
        }
    }

touch_start(integer total)
    {
        if (llDetectedKey(0) == llGetOwner()) makeMenu();
    }

listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string msg)
    {
        //you can never be too secure
        if (id == llGetOwner())
        {
            if (msg == "RESTORE")
            {
                cur_scale = 1.0;
            }
            else if (msg == "MIN SIZE")
            {
                cur_scale = min_scale;
            }
            else if (msg == "MAX SIZE")
            {
                cur_scale = max_scale;
            }
            else if (msg == "DELETE...")
            {                
                           llDialog(llGetOwner(),"Are you sure you want to delete the resizer script?", 
                           ["DELETE","CANCEL"],menuChan);
                           return;                
            }                
            else if (msg == "DELETE")
            {                
                           llOwnerSay("deleting resizer script...");
               llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());                
            }            
            else
            {
                cur_scale += (float)msg;
            }

//check that the scale doesn't go beyond the bounds
            if (cur_scale > max_scale) { cur_scale = max_scale; }
            if (cur_scale < min_scale) { cur_scale = min_scale; }

resizeObject(cur_scale);
        }
    }
}
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Isis Ophelia

Post by Isis Ophelia »

oh thank you Sarge. I got a good improved resizer. Took me over a year until I found one working in most grids. And now that Kitely fixed the minimum prim sizes to 0.001 my script will even work to resize nano sculpts and will make my shoes fit very small avatars. I'm happy with this fix. It makes for me possible to work on jewelry in Kitely, but unfortunately most grids don't have this improvement yet.

Mine so true, tons of copybotters specially in SL. But I believe the majority of persons are honest. I think, who uses a copybot needs to have a 'who cares mentality'.
Might be there is not such script in opensims. I should be fine. I will start offering my shoes modify. In 5 years creating, I've never had problems with copybotters.

Thankies you both, for your comments. I still don't have a better way on how to offer the demos for my jewelry. I think I will attach to each piece a box. Just wanted to avoid letting my customers look like a Christmas Tree with many boxes around haha

Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Isis Ophelia wrote:oh thank you Sarge. I got a good improved resizer. Took me over a year until I found one working in most grids. And now that Kitely fixed the minimum prim sizes to 0.001 my script will even work to resize nano sculpts and will make my shoes fit very small avatars. I'm happy with this fix. It makes for me possible to work on jewelry in Kitely, but unfortunately most grids don't have this improvement yet.

Mine so true, tons of copybotters specially in SL. But I believe the majority of persons are honest. I think, who uses a copybot needs to have a 'who cares mentality'.
Might be there is not such script in opensims. I should be fine. I will start offering my shoes modify. In 5 years creating, I've never had problems with copybotters.

Thankies you both, for your comments. I still don't have a better way on how to offer the demos for my jewelry. I think I will attach to each piece a box. Just wanted to avoid letting my customers look like a Christmas Tree with many boxes around haha
.001 "should" be in all OS based grids by default....from what little I know of this it seems to me they would have to go in and disable this themselves...not sure why they would, assuming this is true.

I very much agree that most people are honest...and, in fact, some are positing this Kitely MP will help in this in some regards...tho I am not one to expand upon that thought process, those who do basically suggest having commercial content available in the Meta will make it easier to buy rather than go to the trouble and risk of copybotting. Obviously, realistically, "some" will still copybot.

Personally I would promote towards the positives in this regard than dwell and worry to much to the negative aspects.

In any case, looks like you got things well in hand-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I believe Miney is correct, .001m is the default minimum size in OpenSim, as is 99% hollow. However, not all viewers are created equal and some still use the legacy default SL setting of .01m and 95%. I can verify that Firestorm uses the defaults of .001m and 99%.

Regarding demos, the Kitely Market has that feature in place already, so you don't have to make separate items yourself, unless you need them for an inworld shop. In which case, add something that clearly marks it as a demo and make it no perms at all. No mod, no copy, no trans.

drfine jewels
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by drfine jewels »

It is good that your are creating new jewelery of your own. But it would be good to copy. You can give a good demo here. Share it here. :)
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Don't do juwelry.... nooooo... I did it and see how I end up... I build Japanese buildings now... I am sure you don't want to end up like me... See page 46 here: http://en.calameo.com/read/00000423498fa545f9454

;-)

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post:
Handy Low
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982