Inworld stores, do we need them?

Stores, items and deals
Amiryu Hosoi

Re: Inworld stores, do we need them?

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Thank you all;-)

As Deuce stated I am also developing and designing in Opensim for my RL company. I already imported an oar of my local Open Sim instance into Kitely to check out the possibilities. What I want to do is build a complete environment based on Edo Period Japan. This environment will be the showcase for my products in Kitely as it once was in SL. What I don't want however is inconsistency. I don't want visitors to my region to find "modern style" buildings and products (RL designs) next to this Edo Japan based environment.

So, my idea is to keep using Kitely also for my RL designs and proofing but in a separate region. That region could be timebased while the Edo period showcase region will be free for all visitors. Now my questions is, can I run a timebased region in addition to my fixed region? Maybe at some time I will also start selling the RL designs on the Marketplace so, in the end I probably will end up with multiple online showcases. When that happens I also will need to be able to run multiple stores on the Marketplace.

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post (total 3):
Sherrie MelodyDeuce HalseyJean Swashbuckler
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Do we need them ?

It depends on what you think a virtual world should be.

People like to look at cool stuff (which you have in abundance :)) Some people like browsing websites instead of wandering around in 3D. Some prefer wandering around in 3D instead of browsing websites. Some of course, do both. Personally, I prefer to look at stuff "for real" in world, it gives so much more than a picture. Also, you can see how long people are spending looking around your worlds and you can't (currently) see how many views on a market page.

The most notable advantage of the market is real dollars, but a lot of people will buy in credits that won't buy in real money. It is trivial to link an in-world object to the appropriate Kitely market page if you choose.

It costs very, very little to run an in-world store. It looks good on the Kitely world pages. (you can run timebased regions & free regions seperately.. Kitely makes everything easy). I have no doubt you would get visitors :) Visitors is good for you, it's good for Kitely to have more quality destinations :)

So...need... probably not.
Want ? Almost certainly yes :D
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Deuce Halsey
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Amiryu,

You can create as many worlds as you like and set each world's payment option separately.

We've started considering the technical aspects of supporting multiple stores per account. I can't promise it will be implemented any time soon, as we have a very long list of major and minor features we need to prioritize, but please know we're aware that this is a desired feature and are thinking about how to best implement it.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hello Ami,

I am replying at work so have to be brief (still no internet at home. Boo! :( ).

This is a question I have been pondering recently too. I will not be opening a store per-se, but will be running a roleplay region in which nearly all of my items will be scattered around. People will be welcome to swing by and check out my stuff there. It will always be a bit of a mix because my landscaping stuff can be used in a very general context, while my other stuff falls strictly into a “medieval” theme.

I think the best thing us merchants could do is to get together to make a store area. Even if 4 merchants share a region, that's 25000 prims each for 10 bucks. A standard “always on” region for 1 merchant shop is overkill I think, of course, this all depends on the individuals needs.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Well, there is still this:

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Ila ... tely-Plaza

Tho I do not know the current status, I do have a small shop there myself...as do some others.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Jean Swashbuckler

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

Ami, popped over to your world running a test for someone else. Love your builds. Nicely done! It is soooo much better being able to walk into a structure and look around than try to imagine it by looking at a 2D image.
These users thanked the author Jean Swashbuckler for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Jean,

To bad I was not there, I am in my 16 region world landscaping and preparing. This new world will be the acual showcase and rpg area. So, this new world will probably also house an inworld store but themed;-) Cu later Jean and thanks for the sweet words.

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

If you are building a 16 region world, I don't think you need a separate sim as a store as well. Maybe some kind of skybox? My plan is to have a skybox area where people arrive, and from there they can choose to teleport down to the RP area, or to my store area.

Mini - Fair point, but I think that area would be too small for a lot of the products Ami sells. I know it would be too small for mine.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

yea, I was just mentioning it as some new folx may not even know of it.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Amiryu HosoiOzwell Wayfarer
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...