Connecting regions

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Connecting regions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Amiryu,

The steps are:
1) Export your existing 1-region world and read the export report to make sure nothing was filtered out.
2) Delete that world to free up the name.
3) Create a new 3x3 world and in the New World dialog select to upload the OAR file you created in step 1.
4) If you didn't get a message that the world has been created with Advanced Megaregion mode enabled then open the Manage World dialog, switch to the Advanced tab and enable that mode.

You can't change an existing world's size without these steps.

Once the 3x3 world has been created you can export / replace it any time you want via the Files tab in its Manage World dialog.
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Ilan, you always manage to make this kind of procedures sound easy as pie;-)

Thank you,

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post:
Jean Swashbuckler
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Ilan Tochner wrote: The steps are:
1) Export your existing 1-region world and read the export report to make sure nothing was filtered out.
2) Delete that world to free up the name.
3) Create a new 3x3 world and in the New World dialog select to upload the OAR file you created in step 1.
4) If you didn't get a message that the world has been created with Advanced Megaregion mode enabled then open the Manage World dialog, switch to the Advanced tab and enable that mode.
If you've spent a lot of time working on your 1-region world I would also add another step between Step 1 and Step 2 in Ilan's list above:

1a) Create a different 1-region world (maybe call it "Region-Name Backup") and use the new OAR file to create it. Visit your new backup world and look around to be certain that everything is as it should be.

Once you've confirmed that everything looks good in the backup world, then it is safe to delete your old primary world and create a new 3x3 world with the OAR backup.

After your new larger world has been created and you've visited it and confirmed that everything is as expected, you can delete your backup world created in Step 1A.

This is what I did when I upgraded my Donnybrook Beach world from 1 region to 4 (2x2). I created a 1-region world called DB Backup and restored the OAR there. Everything looked good there so I knew the OAR was valid. So deleted the old 1-region Donnybrook Beach and created a new one with 4 regions. Once I had inspected the new 4-region world and confirmed that everything was okay I deleted the DB Backup world.

Another thing to keep in mind is that your new larger world will likely not be at the same spot on the Kitely grid as your old world. This means that your Landmarks to the old world will not work. You will need to recreate your landmarks to your store, home, workshop or whatever on your new larger world.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerJean Swashbuckler
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Guys,

just created a new 16 region big world where I want to start creating my environment. After adjusting region terrain textures I converted the regions back into 1 mega region and logged back in. The vast amount of space feels great but apparently there is a downside to this;-( The mega region was kind of laggy and only generated 25 fps while the world is still kind of empty. Draw distance is set to 500 or so. In my 256x256 Hosoi Mura region I get 70+ fps. I am not sure if this mega region will work out for me especially when the world is full of prims...

Any thoughts?

Ami
Last edited by Amiryu Hosoi on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Amiryu,

Did you wait a few minutes to let everything download before looking at viewer FPS? (viewers can be laggy while decoding many jpeg2000 textures)

Have you looked at sim FPS to see how well the server is handling running the 16-region Advanced Megaregion?
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

hey Ilan, changed graphic settings into full screen. I had it windowed to make screenshots for products. That imporoved the performance a bit. Average fps in mega region is around 40 now. In my default 256x256 region it is 1,6 times higher.

Ami
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Amiryu,

Are you talking about Sim FPS or Viewer FPS?

Did you wait a few minutes to let everything finish rezzing before checking your FPS?
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

hey Ilan, It looks like sim fps is give or take the same. The vierwe fps is like I said, around 35/40 in mega region and 55/70 in single region.

Ami
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Is this the difference between running the 16-region sized world with and without Advanced Megaregions mode enabled?
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Nope, the difference between a single 256x256 meter region and a 16x256x256 meter region world

Ami