Towns?

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Ralph Doctorow
Has thanked: 0

Towns?

Post by Ralph Doctorow »

Having been in SL for some time as well as a day 1 member of Blue Mars (RIP :( ), I do think that virtual communities such as Caledon are a real attraction for virtual worlds. IMHO, that was one of the serious mistakes Blue Mars made, not that they didn't make a host of others. They spread their members out over scores of islands so there were none that actually had any people in them. As many problems as SL has, communities are quite easy to set up, and there are a lot of them.

How does that work in Kitely and is there any concept of "Mainland"? I'm still learning the OpenSim technology, but it seems difficult, or at least poorly documented how, to set up an expandable community where individuals can do their own builds, manage their own parcels, and together create a virtually compact community. Again, using Caledon as an example, how would that work in Kitely? AFAIK, there doesn't seem to be any way to subdivide a region into pieces that can be sold/rented with most permissions. Expanding the community as it grows seems very difficult, although Blue Mars had the notion of portals to connect otherwise disconnected islands which seemed acceptable.

I admit I'm new here, so I may be missing something (or a lot). If so, I welcome any pointers to how communities would work, or even better, examples of on-going communities.
Deuce Halsey

Re: Towns?

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Hi Ralph, Welcome to Kitely!

There is no "Mainland" here in Kitely, since the largest contiguous landmass is a 16-region world (in a 4x4 grid). That doesn't mean that there are no community building opportunities here. There are many SL communities that exist quite happily on private islands (including Caldedon, if I'm not mistaken), and there is no reason to doubt that the same thing will happen here in Kitely.

True, there is no Kitely analog to spending time wandering along the Linden highways of the SL Mainland and just exploring large tracts of land on foot seeking out new and interesting builds. Exploration in Kitely is more of an island-hopping affair. That can be quite pleasurable though - just ask any tourist visiting Hawaii. ;)

I've only been here for a bit over a month at this point, moving my operations over from SL, where I spent the past five years living and working on the Mainland. It was almost immediately apparent that Kitely has a need for less-than-region-sized parcels, since not everyone who migrates here from another grid needs a full region or more for their builds. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect the Kitely folks themselves to provide these parcels. It makes more sense for Kitely world owners who have more land and prims than they need to rent out some small (quarter-sim?) parcels to fellow Kitely members who just need a bit of space.

This subject was previous discussed in other threads. This one is a good place to start:
http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=883
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Flatlanders!! :lol:

You've got 4 kilometers above you in which to build. I have a single region yet am working on Elkay City in Regio Excelsior. It is three levels at this point and still needs some filling in, but that is only a matter of time.

The biggest problem with anything of a city nature, though, is population. Rather, the lack of. It is going to take time until we have enugh people in Kitely to have any city-thing feel like its more than a ghost town.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

More need to do NPCs, I know folx out in the Meta using them lots.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Deuce Halsey
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

NPC's?

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Non-Player-Characters :D
If you want to know more about NPCs come talk to mine :) They are (mostly) harmless and interactive :)
They even have an accent.

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Dun ... uter-Plaza
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineZuza Ritt
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Justin Smith

Post by Justin Smith »

I've got to add more NPC's to my sim! I have a few already...
"As long as you are not aware of the continual law of Die and Be
Again, you are merely a vague guest on a dark Earth." --- Johann
Wolfgang von Goethe
Ralph Doctorow
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ralph Doctorow »

Sarge Misfit wrote: The biggest problem with anything of a city nature, though, is population. Rather, the lack of. It is going to take time until we have enugh people in Kitely to have any city-thing feel like its more than a ghost town.
But that's my point. Spreading everyone out over separate islands just empathizes the lack of community.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Ralph Doctorow wrote:
Sarge Misfit wrote: The biggest problem with anything of a city nature, though, is population. Rather, the lack of. It is going to take time until we have enugh people in Kitely to have any city-thing feel like its more than a ghost town.
But that's my point. Spreading everyone out over separate islands just empathizes the lack of community.
I have to disagree.

In RL, location is a factor in the building of community. But that limit is removed in the Metaverse. I can pop over to your region for a visit even easier than I can walk next door to visit my RL neighbour. Its not the environment that defines a community, though it is a factor. Its the people who define community.

It isn't that there is a lack of community in Kitely, or across the Metaverse as a whole, it is that we are redefining what community is.
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post (total 5):
Dundridge DreadlowConstance PeregrineDeuce HalseyDot MatrixIsis Starlight
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Minethere Always wrote:More need to do NPCs, I know folx out in the Meta using them lots.
There are a lot of potential uses for NPCs. I'm working on model stands that will allow visitors to my store to see how our shirts look on actual avatars.
Eventually I plan to market the model stands to other merchants who want to display their fashions, avatars or avatar accessories. The only downside
to the NPC model stand technology is that in Kitely only World Owners can execute the NPC script commands. So NPC model stands won't be usable by
tenants in malls unless the world owner is somehow able to rez the model stands for the tenant.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782