Village community: concept discussion

Other communities that use virtual worlds
Dot Matrix

Re: Village community: concept discussion

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks for the confirmation, Ilan.

Several of us were able to discuss options inworld yesterday. Some expressed the desire to have a place within the village centre itself -- perhaps as a shop with an apartment above.

This would reduce the need for a 3x3, making a 2x2 a viable size -- perhaps with the village "center" based in one region, with cottage+workshop islands in the others, and navigable waterways surrounding and intertwining the land areas.

With this option, the main village area might include a fishing dock, say.

Any other ideas?
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

That sounds like an interesting plan, kinda like the apartment above idea, heh.
I will point out that 3x3 gives space to expand if 2x2 is too small.

I want a cellar.
Or a batcave.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Dundridge -- that really confirms the shop + apartment idea.

Caves were stage 2, but might be brought up the priority list. (Ozwell's cave kit does look interesting.) ;)

Whether the village starts with a 2x2 or a 3x3 depends on how many people express a definite interest and willingness to rent at this initial stage.

To be completely transparent, the absolute maximum I personally could cover is about $40 a month, or equivalent in KC. At the moment, I'm reasonably confident about an unlimited-time 2x2.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Time for a progress report.

Various discussions inworld have convinced me that a 3x3 region is viable. So yesterday I created a new 3x3 world, currently the metered variant. I'll switch it to unlimited at a later stage.

Paislee, Sherrie and I were discussing possible names for the world. I suggested that something from the British Celtic tradition might be appropriate, thinking of the Scottish islands (but warmer) ethos we're aiming for, and the mentions of Caledon earlier in this thread. Zuza's lovely birch trees came into the mix, too. Googling helped.

Sherrie came up with the name we finally settled on for this stage: Beithe Parish.

There's not much to see there yet. I've uploaded a 3x3 oar that Marie Korolov developed from LK's Tiki Summer oar: Nine-region terrain OAR for Kitely. We'll use this as a start for terraforming.

Because we're working on terrain, including changing the textures, Advanced Megaregion mode is currently turned off.

By the way, all of this is work in progress, and is meant to be open to discussion by all. If you have any ideas (including suggestions for the final name of the village/world), do feel free to mention them.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Danko Whitfield
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

the only thing I will point out (without beaming over for a proper look) is that the word parish is a religious territory. If you are going for village, go FOR village in the name :)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Deuce Halsey
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I dunno, Louisiana has Parishs, so it "must" be ok..oh, wait, that's Louisiana...nvm
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Deuce Halsey
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

The word "parish" has different meanings, including secular ones (which admittedly evolved from the original religious meaning).

In this context it is equivalent to "A division of a county for administrative and local government purposes" (Chambers Dictionary).

When I vote in local elections, I vote people to the village Parish Council. Definitely a secular entity in our RL case!

The church council, by the way, is a Parochial Church Council -- a totally different word and entity.

I like the word "parish" because it includes the surrounding land as well as the village -- so it is a name for the whole district.

But point noted!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Sherrie MelodyDanko Whitfield
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Contact sheets of possible terrain textures are now in world if you would like to peruse them. I've licensed them from Studio Skye.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Sherrie Melody
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Time for another update...

I sought advice from the top man himself (should have done this from the start, but I'm impulsive!): Which would be the best size megaregion for the kind of community proposed, in terms of performance etc?

The answer came back to go for a 2x2.

So the next question: How to set it up so that the world page doesn't end up with an embarrassing 2 at the end of its address? (Please don't look closely at my other worlds :oops: )

The answer: First make an OAR of the current world, and save the report as well to make sure that it is complete. (I also made raw files of the terrain so far.)

Next, delete the world.

Then, make a new world of the same name. This I will do later today -- teatime now!
==================

Edit: Done -- here's the URL to a currently empty world: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Dot ... the-Parish
Note the lack of a 2 :)

I've named the four regions as follows, pro tem (in order of average height):
SW = The Harbour
SE = Beithe Fishing Village
SE = Nether Beithe
NE = Upper Beithe

Terraforming yet to be done, but I have uploaded the raw files saved from the 3x3.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

Please not that OAR files save the terrain as well so no need to save RAW files and reupload them separately. :-)
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Butterfly Kisses