Sitting in Kitely

Talk about anything, whether on topic or off topic
Amiryu Hosoi

Sitting in Kitely

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hiya,

I know I should be able to find an answer on the internet somewhere but I can't seem to find any good text on it. Can anyone here please tell me why sits in Open Sim don't work like they are supposed? In SL default sits look strange but at least you will sit on the target you selected. AO sits will help you. In Open Sim however site just don't work. My question; will there ever be a fix for this in Kitely?

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Oren Hurvitz

Re: Sitting in Kitely

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

In what way do sits not work?

Possibly related: Justin Clark-Casey, one of the core OpenSim developers, just posted this comment on Opensim Virtual: "Put code into OpenSimulator dev master branch to fix camera when sitting on child prims." Is this the problem you're referring to?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Sits have historically been broken in OpenSim and hence required a script (possibly due to physics?). The avatar floats 0.5 m or so above a 0.5 m cube when sitting. Does Justin's fix relate to followcams for vehicles or chairs in buildings rather than single prim sits?

Typical discussion http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble. ... 66031.html

Justin's update may relate to this conversation: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Chat_log_ ... 2012-11-06

Other avatars investigating sit positioning: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Chat_log_ ... 2013-10-29

Couple of edits to this since posting
Last edited by Graham Mills on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

In SL, when I point on an edge of a cube my avatar will sit right on that edge and facing the direction away from that edge. In Open Sim/Kitely it does not matter where I target my sit, I will float facing what I feel a random direction. Please see the well. In my mind it shouldn't be that big hassle to fix this? The sitting in OpenSim has always kept me away from giving demos to people because it looks so darn foolish, like I don't seem to know how the environment works.

Left is Kitely, right is SL

Ami
Attachments
sitting.jpg
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

I hadn't thought much about sit positions. It looks like Justin's recent fix is not to the issue of the sit position, but something else. Graham's links are very useful, but unfortunately they indicate that fixing this would be difficult, so it probably won't happen soon. Looks like using a predefined sit position (and possibly a script as well) is the way to go.
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Oren,

Thank you, I always thought of sits, just like walking, were part of the basics of using Open Sim. I would find it sad if we would need a scripted posebal or other tool to "just" sit down;-( I also think it is weird that there is so little concern in the Open Sim community and developers to fix this.

I am currently working on a 4 x 4 landscape and will incorporate a lot of nice spots for people where they can just sit down on, for instance a trunk or ledge, to relax an enjoy scenery. The broken "sits" will sadly ruin the emersion;-(

Ami
Cecil Gudkov

Post by Cecil Gudkov »

Hi Ami,

Standard sit position problem is known from the beginning of opensim... i will type below the code i use to correct that until opensim standard position will be fix. Hope will help you!

Just create a script in your prim and adjust "vector rot" for your needs. If you're using a multiple-prim chair, drop the script into the root prim. The SIT TARGET is the spot where your avatar's butt will attach to the prim. The SIT TARGET, once set, becomes a permanent property of a prim. If you delete the script which was used to set the target, the target remains in the prim:

Code: Select all

{
state_entry()
{
llSay(0,"\nLoading Script...\nRunning! Enjoy!");
vector rot=<180.0, 90.0, 0.0>*DEG_TO_RAD;
rotation finalrot=llEuler2Rot(rot);
llSitTarget(<1.080, 0.0, 0.2>,finalrot);
}
}
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Cecil;-)

Thank you, I can make my own scripted "sits" if I wan't to but thats not the issue. Not working default "sits" make Open Sim look foolish, especially when inviting people into a demo environment and when people are trying to "sit" at random spots. I was hoping Ilan and Oren could come up with some fix because they both have proven to be "die hards" in fixing;-)

Let's hope Open Sim development team will take this problem a little bit more serious in the future.

Ami
These users thanked the author Amiryu Hosoi for the post (total 4):
Cecil GudkovDeuce HalseySimone GateauxLunk Portal
Simone Gateaux

Post by Simone Gateaux »

So glad at least that it is not just me having the sit problem. If we have to use a script I wish there was some easy way to position the AV sit position manually and have the object save the desired position. This would be useful for irregularly shaped mesh objects. For instance I have a group of 3 mesh mushrooms and it was a real pain to modify a sit script to get the AV to sit just where I wanted her to sit. Maybe there is such a thing and I am not aware of it.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

That would be the Magic Sit Script.
Simone Gateaux wrote:So glad at least that it is not just me having the sit problem. If we have to use a script I wish there was some easy way to position the AV sit position manually and have the object save the desired position. This would be useful for irregularly shaped mesh objects. For instance I have a group of 3 mesh mushrooms and it was a real pain to modify a sit script to get the AV to sit just where I wanted her to sit. Maybe there is such a thing and I am not aware of it.