Inventory folder size limit set to 1000 items

Ask questions about using viewers to enter worlds, and problems with viewers
Ilan Tochner

Inventory folder size limit set to 1000 items

Post by Ilan Tochner »

We’ve added a limit on the number of items in a folder in the inventory: folders can now contain at most 1,000 items. (This number includes both real items and subfolders.) This limit was added because the viewers load the avatar’s entire inventory when they start, and loading very large folders can cause a slowdown for both the incoming avatar and other users.

To be precise, the limit isn’t really on the size of the folder, but on the number of items that we return to the viewer. So folders can still have more than 1,000 items, but viewers will only show the first 1,000. This means that users who have folders that currently contain more than 1,000 items still have all of their items; they just aren’t shown. This can be easily fixed by moving the first 1,000 items into a subfolder, at which time the next 1,000 will appear in the first folder.

By the way, this limit has always existed in Kitely Market: when you choose items to add to a product, the web-based inventory dialog shows only the first 1,000 items in each folder.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Rikku CosplayVeritas McMaster
Deuce Halsey

Re: Inventory folder size limit set to 1000 items

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Thanks for pointing this out, Ilan. I had absolutely no idea although it does make a lot of sense. I'm a big believer in sub-folders anyway since I can never find things otherwise.

I will admit to there being more "loose" objects in the root of my Objects folder than there should be. I will make a concerted effort to either delete these items or move them to an appropriate sub-folder. When doing a sort of such root items just named "Primitive", one of the key advantages of Kitely can come into play. I can create a brand new test world - 256m x 256m of flat green land. Then I can just stand in the middle and rez "Primitives" and other poorly-named objects one at a time. It doesn't matter if the object in question is a 0.5m square plywood box or a 200m by 200m scale model of the Taj Mahal. It won't interfere with anything in my "real worlds" and I can move or dispose of the item as called for. Afterwards I can just delete the test world if I don't need it for anything else. Very cool stuff.

Thanks again for reminding us to keep our folders under control.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post (total 2):
Arton TripsaVeritas McMaster
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Our pleasure, there were a few people with more than 100,000 items in their inventory, some of which in folders with more than 15,000 items inside them. Those people would get very bad login experience and probabely didn't understand why.

Another thing worth reminding people to do is to empty their trash folder every once in a while, it too needs to be transfered to the viewer and that's a simple optimization you can do on your own to speed up your login times.
Chris NamasteVeritas McMaster
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I know this is a viewer thing.. Any chance of a counter somewhere ?? Easy to lose track of random junk.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 3):
Zuza RittNicci DulinVeritas McMaster
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dundridge,

We don't do viewer development at this time. There were less than 50 people who had more than 1000 items/subfolders in and given folder (out of the more than 16,500 Kitely users who were registered when we did the check). I guess most people move things to other folders when the folders become very crowded. A good rule of thumb is if it takes you a long time to visually scan your folder looking for an item then it's probably a good time to divide its contents into subfolders.
Zuza Ritt

Post by Zuza Ritt »

So I have no chance to know how many items are in my folders and suddenly I will not be able to view them though I am absolutely sure these items are there?
My idea of tidy Inventory is made one folder for my whole store, every item I sell is located in this folder in subfolders. Another one folder for everything purchased. One folder for textures uploaded...
One day I will reach the 1000 items there. What will happen then? Will I be able at least find my items by Inventory search? By content filters?
I live among the trees. You are invited too:) Visit 21strom.
My Kitely Market. 21strom webpage.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Zuza,

The limit is per folder without counting the number of items in subfolders of that folder.

You can, for example, have a folder with 1000 subfolders, each containing 1000 items, i.e. a total of 1,000,000 items inside the folder but divided into subfolders.

When you search via the viewer it searches the folder recursively so it should find the item you want even if it's inside a subfolder of the folder you are searching.
Zuza RittChris Namaste
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

How deep can subfolders go, out of interest?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dot,

AFAIK, there isn't a limit to the depth of the folder tree, at least not on the server-side.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Veritas McMaster
Jennifer Boyle

Post by Jennifer Boyle »

Do links count?