Kitely Market Categories and Attributes

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely Market Categories and Attributes

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you Ohn,

Upon further consideration I agree that Pose Stands are quite akin to Teleporters, which are a Gadgets subcategory, so it does make sense to move them under Gadgets as well.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ohn Lang
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Following user feedback we decided to make the following changes (now posted in the blog):

1) "Business Tools > Pose Stands" was moved to "Gadgets > Pose Stands".

2) Subcategories under the Structures category were replaced with the top level building categories that are defined in the following Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_building_types . If we find that there are many items in these categories we will add the additional level of subcategories that is defined in that article.

Notes:

1) Thank you Ohn for pointing out the inconsistency we had with the placement of the Pose Stands category.

2) Thank you Graham for pointing out the lack of proper options for placing various building types. You may be happy to see that there is now a specific type of Educational Buildings category.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Ohn LangAdagio Greenwood
Phoneix Dreamscape

Post by Phoneix Dreamscape »

First I'd like to say to all involved, you did an awesome job! The range of categories and attributes seem very inclusive and well organized.

I do have one question though. If you were looking for NPC Scripts, wouldn't it be easier to find them under Scripts instead of Gadgets?
These users thanked the author Phoneix Dreamscape for the post:
Adagio Greenwood
Ohn Lang

Post by Ohn Lang »

Phoneix Dreamscape wrote:First I'd like to say to all involved, you did an awesome job! The range of categories and attributes seem very inclusive and well organized.

I do have one question though. If you were looking for NPC Scripts, wouldn't it be easier to find them under Scripts instead of Gadgets?

If I were looking for straight scripts-only, yep. But if I were looking for an NPC gadget, like a security guard, soldier, greeter, or janitor, I'd look in Gadgets. NPC packages presumably would come with additional scripted props that are rezzed, attachments etc.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Great start on the list, and I really like the overall concept; really well thought out.

The Avatar Type and Department categories as they are now would be difficult for me. I make a lot of creature avatars, such as theater character avs like the flower avatars from Alice's garden of talking flowers, and anthropomorphic bipedal animal avs that are neither really "animal" nor "furry", as "furries" as a genre have prim faces and mine don't. I'm also planning to bring Tinies to Kitely at some point, and if Cyanide Ember comes to Kitely, I have also have a line of micro-tiny chess pieces. I'm assuming that "fantasy" is equivalent to the literary genre, e.g. fairies and trolls, mermaids and such? I make those too, and under this list will be unsure whether those are "human" or not. Almost all of my child skins are unisex, so I'd have a problem there too. Anime skins are just another humanoid, not that different from any smooth skin, although the shapes can be quite different.

How about this for a tree?
I. Humanoids (including anime, fairies, merpeople, etc.)
-----A. Female
-----B. Male
-----C. Child
II. Creatures
-----A. Bots & Mech
--------1. Robots (most are arguably humanoid, so maybe eliminate this one)
--------2. Mech (including Steampunk, clocks, etc. I would think)
--------3. Other (chess pieces, for example)
-----B. Zoomorphic
--------1. Furries
--------2. Tinies
--------3. Other
-----C. Other (botanicals and other rarities, lol)

It needs work and more discussion from other artists, yes.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

One more comment (hah, I'll probably have a lot more to say)

I have built theater and meeting spaces occasionally for Avatar Repertory Theater, at TheOtherGrid, and will be putting a few of them up for sale here. Building spaces for large numbers of avs is tricky, with the sightline, sound and viewer side load issues, and once ya have that nailed, the purpose for which they actually get used, I have discovered, can vary lot from what I thought when I was building - a theater can and has been used for commercial, educational, government, entertainment, religious. I think your overall concept is trying to get away from what stuff will be used for and and toward "what it is"? So I would suggest that some of the current structure categories could usefully be replaced with "Meeting spaces, theaters and clubs" and maybe "Retail shops" though there is some crossover there.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

Please look at the subcategory level we didn't include from the aforementioned wikipedia article. It lists where each type of structure belongs in the division we included. For example, "Theater" (of various types) appear under Educational Buildings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bu ... _buildings

Would adding that additional level of subcategories to our category tree help clarify where things should be placed?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

Regarding your comment about avatars, Avatar Type and Department are attributes not categories per say. They define types of body parts as well as complete avatars (and Department defines types of many other categories as well).

Do you mean you suggest we change Department from: [Boys, Girls, Men, Women, Unisex] to [Boys, Girls, Men, Women, Unisex Adult, Unisex Child] ?

Avatar Type currently includes: [Animal, Anime, Fantasy, Furry, Human, Robot] do you suggest we replace "Robot" with "Machine" (which includes the various things you mentioned in Bots & Mech), replace "Furry" with "Zoomorphic" and add "Plant"? Would doing so leave out anything?
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Hi Ilan!
No, I wouldn't want to see an additional level of subcategories. That list from Wikipedia is flawed, I think, especially in a virtual environment - it defines by use rather than "what it is". For example, a stripper club is a kind of theater, but only educational in the most liberal terms, and the same VR structure could be used for Shakespeare or strippers. Buildings I've built, have. I'm suggesting scrapping the Categories that define by use and replacing them with broader terms based on virtual building criteria where our objectives are specific (managing avatars, Talk, streaming, sight lines, viewer side load, etc.) - Meeting structures, Retail structures, Residential structures, Clubs, Theaters, Other. Some of the Wikipedia classifications, I think, belong in Attributes, such as Military, Education and Religious.

(I love your overall structure btw - Attributes and Categories, simple and brilliant.)
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Ada,

Please look at the subcategory level we didn't include from the aforementioned wikipedia article. It lists where each type of structure belongs in the division we included. For example, "Theater" (of various types) appear under Educational Buildings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bu ... _buildings

Would adding that additional level of subcategories to our category tree help clarify where things should be placed?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

What about the questions I asked you in the comment before that? (the ones about avatars)