ON Demand

Ask questions about creating worlds, using worlds, etc.
Joe Jr
Has thanked: 0

ON Demand

Post by Joe Jr »

I would like to know is the Fix Monthly Price Region , will be up and running 24/7 ? or it is on demand e.g will Auto shutdown if its inactive ?
Ilan Tochner

Re: ON Demand

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Joe Jr,

All Kitely worlds automatically shut down a few minutes after they become vacant and automatically restart when someone enters them.
Joe Jr

Post by Joe Jr »

So while it shut down can someone search for the world on the map ?

Example:
If it shut down , when someone try going to my world , how long will they need to wait while it restart ?
Joe Jr

Post by Joe Jr »

im currently testing out the free world, which comes with my registration,

When i try to login my world from the firestorm viewer , it says the world is currently offline, to visit please go to XXXX click Enter World , <

IS teleporting working at the moment ?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Joe Jr,

All worlds are searchable on the map even when they are offline and all public worlds are searchable on our Public Worlds page even when they are offline.

The time it takes for a world to start depends on its complexity (number of prims, meshes, textures, scripts, etc.). It can range from 15 seconds to several minutes (in extreme cases). We're constantly working to reduce startup times (you can see many posts to that effect in our blog).

If you try to login to an offline world by manually logging in via the viewer you'll get a message similar to the one you mentioned. If you use the Kitely Plugin to automatically log you in (which is the recommended option) then the plugin will automatically start your viewer and log you into the world once the world is ready.

If you are already logged into the Kitely grid and try to teleport to a world that is currently offline then you'll receive a message inside your viewer notifying you that the world is now starting and that you'll be automatically teleported to it once it is ready, You can then continue inworld in your current location until your target world is up at which time the teleport will automatically start.
Joe Jr

Post by Joe Jr »

Great , i think this is a best way to safe cpu and ram usage, i manage to search for my offline world and it takes 10 seconds to be able to teleport to my destination.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

The reason we can afford to give such low prices is because we use hardware very efficiently. Our system automatically rents servers from Amazon on a per-hour basis, keeping enough servers on reserve to allow us to quickly spin up worlds once they are needed (reserves are conserved so when the number of available servers drops below a certain threshold our system automatically provisions new ones).
Joe Jr

Post by Joe Jr »

I found your interview about kitely , Its gives me more great information :) :D

Thanks

here : http://primperfectblog.wordpress.com/20 ... on-demand/
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

I just thought i would add that you can configure your webpage to use other viewers if that is your preference. I use imprudence myself but will likely change to firestorm in another few opensim versions.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You may also be interested in viewing the video presentation I gave the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Virtual Worlds Special Interest Group (SIGVE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvJp9vZlno

It is targeted at educators but it provides a good tutorial for how to use Kitely.