Nalates Blog FYI

Tell us about external references to Kitely
WhiteStar Magic
Has thanked: 0

Nalates Blog FYI

Post by WhiteStar Magic »

Hi Folks.

Just a quick heads up on this blog post, http://blog.nalates.net/2014/03/22/open ... t-2014-12/ which I have responded to and awaiting "moderation" on, so I have included my response to Nalates below in a Quote box. The Export Flag & Export Permissions is something that I put a lot of time into and forwarded while I was intensively active within the general OpenSim community for the best interests of all. Thanks to Oren for implementing a flavour of it into Kitely & the marketplace, I'm sure if Oren had not made that effort, other would not have even considered looking at it.

Have a Terrific Day one and all.
WhiteStar Magic

For some reason Wordpress did some mangling when quotes were used...
I have to chime in here and point out something. The concept of Export Permissions was forwarded a couple of years ago to the OpenSimulator & Secondlife developers / communities. The purpose was to develop the required mechanisms for creators to have better, fined grained options & controls for product distribution. The initial reactions from LL, Firestorm and the other TPV’s was almost shocking, with many claims of \impossible, will never work, too much effort, no one will do it\ and worse. I worked with the Aurora-Sim (fork of OpenSim) developers and with imprudence developer Armin Weatherwax who incorporated into a prototype viewer… IT WORKED !

After further delays and much resistance, the folks at Kitely decided to look at implementing such on their branch of OpenSim and to incorporate such into their current Kitely Marketplace. During that same timeframe, Melanie Thielker of Avination & OpenSim core dev was incorporating similar controls with the cooperation of Siana Gears / Singularity viewer.

The Export Flag and it’s current variants on implementation still have to be \shaken down\ and tightened up somewhat but this is the correct & appropriate approach that should have been adopted a long time ago. Had it not been for the closed mindedness of some and the utter resistance to address the issue by implementing & refining a solution the entire Metaverse Community would have greatly benefitted. One should appreciate & support such an initiative being brought into the community and give appropriate props to those making it happen. As for Linden Labs position and intention one can only postulate but failing to address the issues of creators / developers is a failing on their part, resulting in greater animosity and even hostility much to the detriment of expanding the technology.

For OpenSim you can see it here but it was brought up @ LL and with viewer devs previously: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5892 I cannot locate the old LL Jira from way back when.

On a final note, I would point out that anything that becomes visible on-screen in any world / game etc, be it SL, WoW or whatever, can be scraped with the appropriate OpenGL tools and other capture utilities. The only \secure\ computer / data, is that which is either never turned on, or plugged into any network.
These users thanked the author WhiteStar Magic for the post (total 2):
Graham Millsoopsee joseppe
WhiteStar Magic
Has thanked: 0

Re: Nalates Blog FYI

Post by WhiteStar Magic »

After a cursory glance it appears now that Cool VL Viewer, Singularity, Kokua, Firestorm OS now support the Export Perm flag along with Copy, Mod, Trans.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

This type of blog was expected, however, it does give those who are invested more places to overcome such inaccurate talk with the truth.

I do expect more of this nature but it will not stop the march of the tech and innovation that is happening.

This year will be quite interesting to watch [which is mostly what I will do].
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
oopsee joseppe
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

In response to some well-reasoned comments from WhiteStar, Maria and Ilan, Nal has posted a second, more positive, article:

OpenSim: Kitely’s Market Place Second Look
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineMarstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

She thinks things out, nice to see-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...