Page 1 of 4

Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:56 am
by Danko Whitfield
Pardon me if this has already been brought up and answered...

I have never experienced lag in Kitely in the five months I've been here...until I visited Kitely Plaza. On both of my visits there, once last week and once this week, I had trenmendous lag. Once with the HUD, once without. I thought I was back in SL for a minute there. :)

On the second visit, I used the HUD but I had lag before, during and after I used it. Then I teleported to my homeworld of Evergreen and instantly, no lag.

I'm using the latest Firestorm Open Sim. (Well, it's the latest unless they've upgraded it in the last couple of weeks.)

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 am
by Bladyblue Bommerang
I switched from Firestorm to Imprudence and Kokua and I am doing better. I would stay on imprudence forever except it doesn't have mesh.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:25 am
by Ilan Tochner
Hi Danko,

The next time when you experience lag please open the statistics tab and quote the Sim FPS, Physics FPS, and Ping Sim in this thread. We want to understand the cause of the lag in the Kitely Plaza.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:40 am
by Graham Mills
When it's been quiet I've been using Kokua with graphics dialled all the way up -- slight lag but not a showstoppper. Of course, I doubtless have a lot of textures cached already so it's tricky making comparisons.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 am
by Ilan Tochner
HTTTP textures are offloaded form the OpenSim simulator to our cloud-based asset system so viewer-side caching can improve your user experience but it shouldn't effect sim load or ping times.

From the times we encountered this lag problem in the Plaza the reported Sim FPS was as high as usual (mid 50s) so the problem wasn't with lack of CPU resources. However the reported ping times were very high which may indicate some external source to the problem. We're investigating this.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:31 am
by Danko Whitfield
Hi Ilan,

I went back to Kitely Plaza tonight. Same lag experience. No lag as soon as I returned to Evergreen. Again, using the Firestorm Open Sim Viewer. No Hud this time. I flew and walked around three of the four regions and observed the numbers you asked for...they fluctuate, of course...

Sim FPS 53.7 - 55.3

Physics FPS 55.0 - 56.7

Ping Sim 140 - 861

Hope that helps.

- Danko

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 pm
by Ilan Tochner
Thank you Danko,

The high FPS numbers seem to indicate that the problem isn't caused by lack of CPU resources. The high ping times suggest that communication to the OpenSim instance running the Plaza is periodically slowed down. We're investigating the source of these communication slowdowns.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 am
by Ada Radius
These are the error messages filling my screen at K Plaza right now:
(mat): Runtime error:
(0): OSSL Runtime Error: osNpcSetRot permission denied. Script creator is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim owner also has no permission.
[06:35 PM] (mat): Runtime error:
(0): OSSL Runtime Error: osNpcSetRot permission denied. Script creator is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim owner also has no permission.
[06:35 PM] (mat): Runtime error:
(0): OSSL Runtime Error: osNpcSetRot permission denied. Script creator is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim owner also has no permission.
[06:35 PM] (mat): Runtime error:
(0): OSSL Runtime Error: osNpcSetRot permission denied. Script creator is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim owner also has no permission.

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 am
by Ilan Tochner
What viewer are you using Ada?

Did this appear in the local chat?

Re: Lag at Kitely Plaza

Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 am
by Dot Macchi
That looks like one of Mat's NPCs -- they work superbly on his Stuart region, though obviously different permissions apply on the Plaza.

At a guess it might be in the cafe in the gallery area.