How to correctly upload mesh

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Mike Lorrey

Re: How to correctly upload mesh

Post by Mike Lorrey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Ada Radius wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm
ya and baking is buggy and painting takes time. I haven't tried ezbump - is there a link? I tried a couple of online normal map makers which no longer seem to exist and the Nvidia plugin for PS. I ended up paying for CrazyBump, which is somewhat crashy but saves a lot of time if the normal map should be the same shapes as the diffuse and specular maps.
Mike Lorrey wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 am

Ok I still haven't figured out baking, I just map things and use diffuse textures applied inworld. If I need bump maps i use ezbump.
I am really not a fan of the painting tools in blender, it takes time and you get color bleeding over into places you don't want it. Now, if I could just make a ton of materials, color each material, and then unite all the mapped materials into one, keeping their color, merged as a bitmap, that would be cool and useful.
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:47 pm

You can Mike using Cycles render instead of Blender Render. You set up your materials in the material tab assigning the mesh to each one. Then for each material you use the Cycles nodes to create the result you are looking for and bake that result. Creating the materials and getting them mapped right on the mesh is a bit of a challenge until you get a library of groups working but then its smooth sailing. Unwrapping is much more of a challenge in the long run. You can even map standard texture images that way to only parts of the mesh. Let me know if you would like some links to videos on youtube.

Edit: Merged as a bitmap? You might have to convert it from png first.

Second Edit: I'm told you can do the same baking in blender render but I have never tried it. (asked a friend)
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Hypatia Emerson wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:47 pm
You can Mike using Cycles render instead of Blender Render. You set up your materials in the material tab assigning the mesh to each one. Then for each material you use the Cycles nodes to create the result you are looking for and bake that result. Creating the materials and getting them mapped right on the mesh is a bit of a challenge until you get a library of groups working but then its smooth sailing. Unwrapping is much more of a challenge in the long run. You can even map standard texture images that way to only parts of the mesh. Let me know if you would like some links to videos on youtube.

Edit: Merged as a bitmap? You might have to convert it from png first.

Second Edit: I'm told you can do the same baking in blender render but I have never tried it. (asked a friend)
Thanks I've avoided Cycles Render because the nodes looks like its a royal pain in the butt to do nodes for each material for each mesh. I map materials just fine, or mostly fine (the cylinder mapping function seems to only work right when your selections axis is vertical, for instance).
Hypatia Emerson

Post by Hypatia Emerson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Yes I hear that a bunch about cycles. I prefer it because you have to set all the same settings for blender render but as far as I can see there is no way to save them for the next use. With Cycles I set it up one time then group the nodes and add it to a file that has all my material groups. When I get ready to create materials (as seldom as I can possibly manage cause I hate it too) I just append that file with the material groups and can then add whatever group I need in just 2 steps instead of fiddling around trying to remember all the settings, what folder I have that texture in or did I use diffuse or glossy last time.
These users thanked the author Hypatia Emerson for the post:
Michael Timeless
Full Moon Mesh is available in Kitely Marketplace and soon coming to a shop near you!